1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 9:20 AM by ECBowen

Desktop PC or MacBook Pro?

shnips6

I work a lot with after effects and have been using a PC, which can still take a long time to render certain projects that are more intensive. My current PC specs are:

Windows 7 Professional

Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20 GHz

Installed RAM: 32.0 GB

System Type: 64 bit Operating System

I would like to have a portable editing system so I am considering  switching to a MacBook Pro. The website states the specs as:

1. 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

Configurable to 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

I have heard that Apple products are very good for editing programs. If I make this switch, should I be expecting a drop in performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Desktop PC or MacBook Pro?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes the laptop wont have near the performance as the X79 system especially for AE. Mac's don't have any better performance for editing than PC's. For applications such as Adobe they are often less than because of the specific hardware options. OSX and Windows pretty much have the same performance at this point other than Windows threads out to more cores/threads.

Eric

ADK