1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 11:45 AM by simonh78289528

Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

Steffen Liss Level 1

I'm still looking for a way to get that feature back (until CS4). But it seems that there is no script or plugin that can do the job of telling ID to save spreads as previews instead of the useless single pages. The fun thing is, that ID knows that pages are single pages or spreads but ignores it, when it comes to save the previews for Bridge. Just annoying. Please Adobe make up your mind!

• 1. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We are users just like you.

To get Adobe product managers to follow your advice, you need to send it to the right place. Post it here, and make a good case because they get a lot of requests:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
            Steffen Liss Level 1

That is just the problem. I sent several feature request regarding this issue. But for 4 years now no reaction from Adobe. And i am not alone. This forum is the best proof.

My intention starting the discussion was to see, if someone has a solution I don't know about. Probably you Steve. Take a deep breathe and think about.

• 3. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

instead of the useless single pages.

You can set your File Handling>Pages preference to All Pages, which lets you flip through the entire document in Bridge's preview. The format is single pages, but you can see them all.

• 4. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                Steffen Liss Level 1

I know that. The InDesign prefs are set to Alle Pages and max. preview size. But our workflow need the spread via in InDesign. So so needly that Adobe changed InDesigns behavior. Because Single until CS4 pages were saved as single pages and spreads as spreads. I can't understand why anyone has decided to change it.

• 5. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

It seems more like a Bridge feature request. When you choose facing pages in ID the pages are still singles but displayed as facing (or spreads). Sounds like you want the Bridge Preview panel to have a facing pages preference.

• 6. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                    Steffen Liss Level 1

I sent my request to both products.

This is the questions. Is it a Bridge or a InDesign feature? I see it more on the InDesign side. because until CS4 ID saved the previews as spreads/facing pages. When I open folders with CS4-files Bridge CC previews spreads, because that is what ID saved in the file. In my eyes it might be difficult to teach Bridge the difference between single pages an spreads and easy to add an option in IDs prefs for saving preview images. As there is already such a tab.

• 7. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

I wonder if the OS might be an issue? Bridge (and Yosemite) handles PDFs that are saved as facing pages (Two-up Continuous) the same way. And the pagination in the new ID versions can be much more complicated where you could have something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 12.06.14 PM.png

• 8. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                        Steffen Liss Level 1

I don't think that it is an OS issue. And I don't mean PDFs, they show the way they are exported to the PDF. Bridge previews *.indd files. And as I said until CS4 InDeisgn itself saved the preview images which are embedded in the *.indd file as facing pages, when the site is a spread. But since CS5 InDesign always saves single pages. There is a software called ArtView which allows facing pages preview directly in the finder (But not the way it was until CS4). But we have an Bridge based workflow over several departments and need the facing pages preview there.

• 9. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My presumption is this has to do with the introduction of the Page tool and the possibility that a spread might contain pages of different sizes and orientations.

• 10. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                            Steffen Liss Level 1

And still I don't see a hassle for InDesign to save the complete spread as one preview image. It just needs to be user adjustable in the prefs. "Save preview images as spreads? On/Off"

• 11. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

Are you a programmer?

• 12. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                Steffen Liss Level 1

I know why you ask and that is not the point. The feature was there for years and the newer versions changed the way the previews are saved. Due to whatever. The only things users (not only me) want is an option to choose whether the previews are saved as spreads oder single pages or whatever can be helpful. Any reaction to this topic would be nice. Perhaps there is a good reason why it is as it is.

In the German pref panel it could look like this:

save_spread.jpg

• 13. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

It is not valid to say that feature was there for years, but that it is still possible to maintain it after code is rewritten to support some new feature, any more than it is valid to say that an old version should be able to support a new feature (like support for Retina displays which can never be added to CS6 or older versions of ID because the entire program had to be recoded to add that support). We don't even know if this issue is really in the Bridge code.

• 14. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                    Steffen Liss Level 1

It's fun discussing here. I can't force any programmer at Adobe to do stuff that is not good for the software. But why users think that its not worth asking for a specific feature won't come to my brain. Perhaps here is the wrong place to discuss a feature request. But in the Adobe universe there i no other place I can go.

The initial post asked for someone who might have a solution I don't know. Everyone has its own tricks and workflows. But in my agency we didn't find any solution that works for us.

If I were a programmer, perhaps I would have figured out a script which allows me to add this feature to InDesign, but unfortunately I'm not.

The topic was discussed so many times and for so long:

Preview Spread in bridge

• 15. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Didn't this change with the ability to save previews all pages of the document?

• 16. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                        Steffen Liss Level 1

@Bob: Unfortunately not. InDesign than saves all spreads as single pages. E.g. 8 sites on 4 spreads are saved as 8 single page preview images. Yes you can click through the pages in Bridge, but you can't see them as facing pages, as they are setup in InDesign. Perhaps its a bug report than a feature request.

• 17. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

That’s not what I meant. I meant the timing of the change from spreads to

single pages. I believe it happened when the ability to save all pages as

previews was added.

That said, you can make the request, but I wouldn’t hold my breath

waiting. You need to make a strong case for why most users would benefit

from this and I just don’t see how this is  a priority with all of the

other things that need fixing.

• 18. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

And I don't mean PDFs, they show the way they are exported to the PDF

Not necessarily, if Spreads is not checked, you can still set the pages to be facing from Acrobat's properties panel, save the PDF and it will open as facing pages.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 7.50.18 AM.png

• 19. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                              Steffen Liss Level 1

Hi Rob, PDF is not the topic. Its nice that you don't see it the way I do. But for me and a lot others its an essential/basic function. From my point there are no other things that needs fixing and no other functions to implemented. It only this one thing on the list. For me!

Why is everyone arguing against this feature. Your are not in the production workflow my colleagues and I are in. So, for us its important. And for many other users too.

• 20. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

I don't see people arguing against the feature, just the assertion that it could and should be easily restored. I think if it were easy it would have been done.

• 21. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

I don't think anyone's arguing against the feature, we're just pointing out that there have been many changes to both the OS and ID since CS4 which might make engineering your request more difficult than you think. I only used PDF as an example of why the change probably has to happen in Bridge and not ID.

Maybe you could describe what it is in your workflow that makes a spread preview essential?

• 22. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                    Steffen Liss Level 1

Here is how we work:

We create brochures for a furniture store. We are 6 designers, 1 image editor and 6 photographers who work parallel on the same project. We use Bridge to browse and stay up to date. Each spread is a separate InDesign document. A brochure with 20 pages consists of 11 indd-files. The background is that all designers can work on the same project. Every designer has its main resort. But the articles one spread can be from different departments and we need to see in Bridge the whole spread to see it. Ready pages are visually marked in the document for the image editor, so he sees where pictures need to be retouched. Now with single pages he sees only have of its work. Also it was good to browse through old brochures to look for special marketing layouts and to generally get a feel during designing if it looks "nice". Exporting PDFs is on our network architecture a time consuming procedure, since all elements are stored on different network shares. The whole process of creating the brochures takes place on servers. We are not allowed to store any data on our local machines. Due to the fact that all data needs to backed up and there ware always persons who "forget" to put its daily work back on the server.

• 23. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

How is the 20 page brochure assembled? Are you using the book feature? Dragging and dropping the individual spreads pages into a master? Exporting the spreads as PDFs and assembling in Acrobat?

• 24. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                        Steffen Liss Level 1

No the book feature can't be used. Finishing the brochure means that we export every page individually as print PDF. The ID files are extremely complex as we have for every page a bunch of versions due to different regional laws concerning consumer protection. The Title e.g. is 1 file but hold data for 18 individual print PDFs. They are complex layer monsters. We cannot make changes in 18 versions, so all different regional needs must be accomplished in 1 file. So we need to make changes only in 1 document per page/spread. The 20 pages end up in 88 single page print PDFs, which where puzzled together to 18 individual brochures. One for every store.

• 25. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

Sounds like a complicated workflow to change but given that the spread preview has been gone for 5 years, I don't think you can bet on it coming back.

The first thing that comes to mind is the relatively new feature that lets you place an ID file on another ID file page the same way you place an image or PDF. So you could make your spreads a single page and place in a facing page master that's used for exporting the PDF page(s). All you would have to do is update the links before exporting.

Something like this where the single page Spread2-3.indd is being placed on pages 2-3 of a 20 page export master, with Bridge showing the entire spread:

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 11.15.23 AM.png

• 26. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

That feature, IIRC was added in CS3. It was certainly available in CS4.

• 27. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

Ok, an old feature I ignored for years...

• 28. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                                Steffen Liss Level 1

Yes its complicated. We upgraded from CS4 to CC2014 5 month ago. So its not years. And we only switched because CS4 doesn't work well on 10.10. And we became new MacPros with Yosemite.

Placing indd into indd is a feature we use much. But this doesn't help seeing facing pages preview in Bridge from our InDesign files. As I said is exporting PDFs is no option as it is to time consuming and needs to be done every time a change was made. And that's pretty often.

But thanks for the thinking about it.

• 29. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

But this doesn't help seeing facing pages preview in Bridge from our InDesign files

In my example the individual spread is a single page 17x11, which shows all of its content in the Bridge preview (to the right in my capture). Its being placed as a crossover on a letter sized facing page document, which you would use for export.

I was assuming the reason you don't set up the spread as a single page is that eventually you need two pages for imposition. Placing the single page ID doc onto a facing page spread would let you export two single pages.

• 30. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

The copyright on my running copy of CS3 is 2008, so CS4 must have been 2009-10.

• 31. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

CS3 was released in the spring of 2007

• 32. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                                        Steffen Liss Level 1

Hi Rob,

ahh now i get what you wanted to show. We should place just for previewing purposes the original 2 page/1 spread file in an document with 1 page which has the size of the spread. Hmm. Not a bad idea. I just see the problem in opening the original file and refreshing the indd preview container doc.

I'll give it a try and discuss this. But its just a workaround. And it would be better if the InDesign team would add an option to choose whether the previews are saved as spreads or single pages.

Yes CS4 ist 5 or 6 years old but we used it a long time and developed the workflow.

• 33. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

We should place just for previewing purposes the original 2 page/1 spread file in an document with 1 page which has the size of the spread. Hmm. Not a bad idea

Actually I was thinking of the reverse for future projects where you would make the design spread as a single page document and set up a facing page master document with the placed spreads, which is used for export/print/imposition.

Here's my example:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/SpreadExample.zip

• 34. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                                            Steffen Liss Level 1

No. you can't layout an 2 pager in separate files. Elements overlap.

• 35. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

Guess I'm missing something. I assumed your 9 spread files were constructed as 2 facing pages like this:

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 11.51.20 PM.png

Why can't it be a single page at the spread dimensions like this? You're still laying out the left and right page content in one file:

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 11.52.16 PM.png

• 36. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                                                Steffen Liss Level 1

e.g.: Let's have a look on page 8 and 9. They are in 1 file as 1 spread (facing pages). As I said before we have 18 stores all over Germany and each state has individual consumer protection laws. For that we must communicate prices and campaigns different. Berlin gets the full spectrum of the marketing actions. But in Hamburg we need to reduce, because we are not allowed to use was prices (strikethrough prizes). Therefore we design not only the layout, we must keep all that in mind and layer each INDD-document pretty complex. When we export PDFs we turn some layers on and some off (e.g. the was price) regarding on what is allowed in that version. Usually the campaign is only on one of both pages. And as we have on campaign site asterisks and on the other not we need for the campaign page more versions than for the articles-only-page. Hard to describe. But believe me. We need it the way it is.

• 37. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge

we must keep all that in mind and layer each INDD-document pretty complex. When we export PDFs we turn some layers on and some off (e.g. the was price) regarding on what is allowed in that version.

You would still have access to each placed spread's layers in the export document via Object Layer Options

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 7.42.01 AM.png

• 38. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                                                    Steffen Liss Level 1

Let's bring this topic back. Every time Adobe announces an update, I pray for them to here the crowd screaming for that feature. But CC 2015 is not the savior I hoped.

I have googled the whole internet back and forth and not a single solution. Perhaps I must post this issue every week. Just registered for den InDesign SDK and will have a look in skripting what we need here.

• 39. Re: Spread view for InDesign docs in Bridge
                                                                                      CarlBoudreau Level 1

Steffen, have you found an answer since last year? I'm on El Capitan et InDesign CC and can't seem to see the preview of my files on the Finder…

1 2 Previous Next