4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 4:55 AM by vladan saveljic

script to hyphenate footnotes

vladan saveljic Level 4

hi,
      I have text importaded in indesign cs6 (mac os x yosemite) from word with hundreds of footnotes.

In the paragraph style "notes" the hyphenation is turned on but the footnotes are not hyphenated.
      I tried solution with "find-change": find "paragraph style notes" - change "hyphenation on", but in the field change option to choose hyphenation does not exist .
      Is there any way to solve this problem (with grep, script ...) or I will have to apply hyphenation to each footnote individually?

Thanks in advance
      oscar

• 1. Re: script to hyphenate footnotes
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

premio_oscar napisał(-a):

In the paragraph style "notes" the hyphenation is turned on but the footnotes are not hyphenated.

Let assume you check if paraStyle "notes" are applied to footnotes.

Can you see any overrides ("+" nearby a style name in panel)?

Is this style applied manually or using "Footnotes Options" dialog?

Is paraStyle created in InDesign or imported from Word?

I dont think it is a scripting issue. The reason and solution can be found in UI.

Jarek

• 2. Re: script to hyphenate footnotes
            vladan saveljic Level 4

Hi Jump_Over,

- the para style "notes" are applied to footnotes;

- there is "+" nearby a style name (I not force the style with "alt"  to not lose local italics, small caps, bold etc.);

- this style is applied automaticly (I made it in indesign befor imported text from word);

- para style "notes" is created in indesign.

Text in word had footnotes not hyphenated and obviously this has remained in indesign.
            I could solve the problem by setting the hyphenation in word (you can select  all notes and set hyphenation) and after importing the text in indesign.
            The problem is that the text in indesign is practically in final phase and now in not convenient to start again from Word and import the text again.
            In indesign I could select the notes one at a time and apply hyphenation, but there are a hundreds of footnotes.

I thought there is a mode to change all automatically.
            Thank you

• 3. Re: script to hyphenate footnotes
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@oscar – This line of code in ExtendScript (JavaScript) should set all text in all footnotes of your active document to hyphenate.

try{
              app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().footnotes.everyItem().texts[0].hyphenation = true;
              }catch(e){alert("Script-Message:"+"\r"+e.message)};

Hint: Check the language settings of the footnotes.

If it's "None" or "Arabic" or "", hyphenation might not happen at all, even if it's set.

Uwe

• 4. Re: script to hyphenate footnotes
                vladan saveljic Level 4

Hi Laubender,

I tried your script.
                works very good!
                thank you very much