5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 8:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Pan and Zoom

Mudanzas

Hi

I have Premiere elements 13 & have compiled a video comprising both photos & videos.  With the Ken Burns effect, do I have to process every single item on timeline with the process or is there a simpler way of doing this throughout the whole timeline.

Does the programme also generate a random "pan & zoom" on each item like Windows Movie Maker?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mudanzas

What version of Windows is your Premiere Elements 13 running on? Have you updated 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update?

Now to the question as posted...

Are you working in the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor or Elements Organizer 13/13.1?

For now, assuming the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor..

There are several ways to create a pan and zoom effect in Premiere Elements 13/13.1

a. Pan and Zoom Tool

b. fx Effects/Presets/ and then Horizontal Pan or Zoom, Vertical Pan or Zoom...you can only apply a pan or zoom, not a pan and zoom per file.

c. Keyframing of the Motion Panel's Scale property for Zoom and Position property for Pan.

Which one are these are you using? And have you looked at 13's Video Story feature which is now automatically applying pan and zooms to

the still assets?

For b. and c. above, you can apply the effect to the first still, then copy the first still, select all the other stills to which you want to apply the same effect, apply Edit Menu/Paste Effects and Adjustments anywhere in the selection. But, keep in mind that Paste Effects and Adjustments will do that for all the Effects and Adjustments in the first file. So, depending on what you applied to the still before this effect, you will get more than just this effect applied to all your stills.

Please check out the following, and then let us know if you have questions are need clarification.

For Pan and Zoom Tool and Video

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12/12.1: Pan and Zoom Tool and Video File

For Pan and Zoom Tool, Applying Pan and Zoom Effect to More Than One Photo at a Time

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Pan & Zoom Tool, More Than One Photo at a Time

ATR

• 2. Re: Pan and Zoom
            Mudanzas Level 1

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I seem to have an issue that I am unable to be able to get the initial start pan/zoom frame to cover the whole still image. ie I am unable to stretch Frame 1, to cover the whole picture.  Any idea what the problem may be – just wonder if it has anything to do with the settings of the images -  currently eg 4320 x 3240 pixels

Thanks

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mudanzas

This is what I suspect has happened. Please check it out.

Your 4320 x 3240 is 4:3, and I am almost sure that, if you did not set the project preset manually, the project has given you its default which is 16:9 (if NTSC, NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30).

What is in this project beside those 4310 x 3240 photos?

If you need to stay with your 16:9 project because of any video in it, then consider cropping your photos before import to 16:9 (example 1920 x 1080 16:9). Then you should be able to go full for the first frame in the Pan and Zoom workspace.

That is my assessment of the situation. See if you agree. We could talk about other methods for pan and zoom application to stills.

ATR

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom
                Mudanzas Level 1

Hi

Thank you again.

Yes that is right.  First time I have used & didn’t change the settings prior to starting project.

• 5. Re: Pan and Zoom
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mudanzas

Great news that all appears to be OK now.

So far, have you applied the Pan and Zoom Tool's pan and zoom effect to just slides.

The details for doing that for video are different. If interested, please consider

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12/12.1: Pan and Zoom Tool and Video File

which should be applicable to Premiere Elements 11, 12, and 13.

Best wishes

ATR