2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 2:36 AM by Just Shoot Me

transferring LR5 to a new PC

phan-tom

Hi I'm new to the forum and have a question regarding the transfer of LR to my new PC.

My old PC which I am in the process of phasing out runs 32 bit windows and constantly runs out of memory while using Lightroom, sometimes while I am editing photos in the develop module but mainly when I go to export the photos. It's very frustrating.... My old LR2 never had these problems but yes I admit it is nowhere as good as LR5.

It was about time for an upgrade anyway so now I have a 62 bit system with lots of memory and latest gaming processors and other specs etc so it should be way fast enough now (I hope!)

MY QUESTION IS how do I move Lightroom from my old PC to my new one? I originally purchased LR2 with the CD and box years ago and recently upgraded to LR5 less than a year ago via download. I'm hoping I can just copy and paste the Lightroom folder and simply reinstall it on my new PC using my serial number. Am I being too optimistic?

Also will my existing Lightroom run on my new 64 bit system?

I should add that I am happy with the stand alone program and have no desire to get the cloud version

Thanks

Tom

• 1. Re: transferring LR5 to a new PC
          johnhawk666 Level 3

Unfortunately, Windows does not work this way; the registry and all it's relevant entries would not be transferred when you copy the program files across to your new computer.

It's necessary to do a full install from the program installer, and yes, the installer contains both 32 and 64 bit versione of Lr. Hopefully you still the serial numbers for both v2 and the upgrade to v5, both of which will be needed. The standalone version is still available from Adobe, you just have to look for it.

• 2. Re: transferring LR5 to a new PC
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR 5 comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Just install the 64bit version on your new computer. As noted above if you have a LR 5 Upgrade serial number you will also need the serial number from your previous version of LR once it is installed and started for the first time.