9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 2:54 AM by Spike29

why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?

Spike29

Im trying to understand why 20 avi's (1280x720) 500KB per piece merged in to a single container go's up to 50 or 100gb mpg4.

The smallest container without loss(i think), mpeg2 1280x720 go's up to 34400MB => 34,4 GB.

still four times bigger.

Can some one explain this to me?

I want 20 avi's merged in to one container and 1280x720, stereo 320kbps 48Khz samplespeed. all smaller then 500MB.

Total map size is 8,7Gb. so 10 Gb Blueray disk image is possible or not?

• 1. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are many things that affect the size of a video file: What codec is in use, how much the file is compressed, etc. Some formats and codecs are for producing editable video, some are for creating delivery video.

If you are producing video for a BluRay, the program will automatically re-encode the video into BluRay format. Regardless of what you started out with, you can fit about 2 hours of high def video on a BluRay disc (or twice that on a dual-layer BluRay).

• 2. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Spike29

Although the default choices under Publish+Share can influence the file size result, within a given format, please look to BItrate and Duration of the file

with regard to file size.

What is the Bitrate of your .avi source file? Are the units Mbps (megabits per second) or Kbps (kilobits per second)?

Under Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with an MP4 preset, what are you specifically setting as the preset and are you using default settings or customizing

them under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, and (if applicable) Multiplexer Tab? If you click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset that you select for your .mp4 export, what do you see there for Target and Maximum Bitrate.(units there are Mbps).

Not sure where you are going with the Blu-ray ISO Image as the file, but consider....there is a known problem with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Blu-ray ISO Image

when that produced .iso file is over 1 GB in file size and is taken to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. The Blu-ray players have not been recognizing and playing back the product.  If you have an :"iso image reader as your player", I am not sure how this known "iso to disc" problem affects the "iso read on iso player" situation..

Just in case mention...in many cases for Premiere Elements exports, there are opportunities to customize Adobe preset settings rather than using the defaults.

If your choice includes an Advanced Button for the preset selected, you click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, and (if applicable) the Multiplexer

Tab) to customize export setting). That is your place to try to customize the Bitrate to find a compromise between file size, quality, and Bitrate.

ATR

Add On...Please confirm Premiere Elements version and computer operating system being used. I have assumed version 13/13.1 on Windows for my introductory comments.

• 3. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
              Spike29 Level 1

Thanks for the answer.

yes version 13 / windows (ps after a update i had to rename dat file (oldfilm.aex) again, it was reinstalled and give that error again so its isnt fixed .)

First: im not burning it but use the iso for watching on a Cuboxi/ XBMC, so the file size isnt that important (exept filling up faster then i want my NASS . )

I wil keep your comment in mind and tested.

source: file.AVI =>ntsc, 1280x720p 24fps, 48Khz stereo (7h32min) to MPEG 1280x720p it wil end up to 33Gb

The AVCHD: h.264: 1280x720p 24fps 160Kbps will end up to 20GB. (M2T version: 49Gb)

(no menu or something just placed behind each other.)

XAVC-S and check "identical to source" for down size resolution output: wil end up with 9,7GB and i changed the multiplexer choise to "standaard" instead of "Ipod".

I will try this first and see of my XBMC does the playback. (6 hours rendering)(its isnt in the support list thoug so its a long leap.)

Otherwise the 20Gb version is the smallest i can make. (strangly still twice the avi source)

• 4. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Spike29

Thanks for the reply with the additional information. But what I was looking for most was the bitrate of your .avi source file. You appear to have given the duration of the 20 clips (7 hours 32 minutes) in your post 3 and the file size of one of the .avi as 500 KB (kilobytes) back in original thread question. But there is no Bitrate listed for each of the 20 avi source clips.

If my calculations from the above information is correct, the bitrate for each of the source .avi is 2.944 kbps (kilobits per second). Is that correct?

500 KB (kilobytes) for each clip = 4000 kilobits per each clip.

7 hours 32 minutes = 452 minutes = 27120 seconds. But that seems to be for 20 clips. So, 27120 seconds/20 = 1356 seconds per clip.

Bitrate might be around 4000 kilobits/1356 seconds = 2.944 kilobits per second. It that what you have or did my calculation go off?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
                  Spike29 Level 1

ATR

Your calculations are correct.

Wel the output file is 76GB (XAVC-S version) so the voorsight in the advanged folder is a bit of. (bitrate Mpeg 24073Kbps data speed= 23916Kbps)

(Source:)Total bitrate Avi:3003Kbps, dataspeed 2683Kbps

So in the renderingproces its almost multipy by 9 in bit rate. (thats explains the expanded filesize) but how can i get 1280x720p (3003Kbps) output generated?

Edit: did some test with  powerdirector 11 and created a MPEG4 1280x720 datarate 8032Kbps total bitrate: 8224Kbps "only" 25,9Gb. (2 1/2 times source)

Is there a program that just can past/stich all the AVI's  to one AVI? (Without rendering and recoding?)

• 6. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Spike29

How about this for

Is there a program that just can past/stich all the AVI's  to one AVI? (Without rendering and recoding?)

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Seamless File Merging Before Import

ATR

• 7. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
                      Spike29 Level 1

ATR

it stich indeed al files together to one 9.1GB avi file.

Only one small tiny problem: the 20 episode's (7h3m are reduced to one episode of 22 min. with same bitrate and as the source and 9.1GB.

and all the other 19 episodes arn't showing...

so it works but not that well

not in VLC or PSE PRE 13.

Fun the old msdos-box (maybe its oversteps the max filesize of dos?)

(tested with 3 avi's same result only 22min equels one episode.)

• 8. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Spike29

Thanks for the reply.

Since each file was estimated to be about 1356 seconds (22.6 minutes) and your merged file turned out to be about 22 minutes, did you actually ever see

the 20 individual files listed with the end line displayed 1 file copied?

Because of the  7 hours 3 minutes total duration of the test, I am wondering if you did not wait long enough for the task to go to completion. Any chance of that?

Same type of questions for the 3 individual .avi files that would have been expected to have had a total duration of about an hour.

The final answer may be that the your requirements were too ambitious for the suggested protocol conditions as described and carried out. But, I will give this a look unless you

come up with something else. I also hope to look into Premiere Elements export settings, bitrate, file size, and quality.

ATR

• 9. Re: why becomes 8Gb of avi's 1280x720 merged into 1 container  50 or 100 GB?
                          Spike29 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the effort,

The file size was few seconds more then 22 min (the exact time of the first episode)

The proces i did them twice: (copy /b 01.avi+02.avi+...20.avi c:\test.avi) (the file size was exacly the count up when you select all files in the folder.)

So it worked i think.

Ive had a sleep over (it) to night  (not a person but ive let my brain chuwe on the problem wile i was sleeping ) and maybe the thing is that avi's made on a camera are devided by onboard-software because of maximum of file size limits when you make a video.

So when you make a long video the camera makes serveral files of that one action making a video.

And maybe thoze AVI-files have an other end-code then a produced avi with a program/software. (so the editingsoftware can stich thoze back together in one file.)

So  in that copy proces: the(new) test.file video end-code is the first end-code its encounter and that is the one from episode one (22.6 minutes)

Infact al the other avi material is properly placed behind it but the viewingsoftware is not able to pase that endcode.

(ive tested the test.avi on my XBMC device(thats linux open source) and it did't accept it and won't start or play.=>conclusion the AVI protocol/encoding wasn't correctly made up.

The point is that the DV-Avi is only 720x576/50i and all the other formats are Mpeg-2 ;H264avc; Mpeg-4; MKV wich have bigger bitrates so al type of encoding needs extra bits to get that bitrate. (there isn't a AVi 1280x720p standaard availble in thoze edittingprograms.

I will search for a program that can recode the avi's to a other container and recode every file to lets say Mpeg4 and after that stich those files.

Thanks

Spike29

Edit: i have  found Freemake Video Converter (watch out with installation they try install lot of garbage and ad there logo in your file) its a simple converter and ive converted it to mpeg2(most equal to the sourceAVI.) It was only for testing to see of a other container was easier and smaller to stich.

(map(20 files) properties are: 13.2 Gb file prop.:1280x720; 5188Kbps/5508Kbps 25fps =>892Mb. origineel:1280x720 2683Kbps/3003Kbps 24fps=>475Mb

So basicly i can't stich without getting minimal two times the original file size.