1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 7:39 AM by nicolaik

InDesign is crashing when opening a file from the book

nicolaik Level 1

Sorry if it was asked before, I did try to google it first. Also, this is my first post on this forum, so apologies if I do not follow some rules and do tell me if it is the case.

The original post with more details is here: extendscript - InDesign crashing when opening a file from the book - Stack Overflow

In short, I am creating a book and creating and adding chapters. After saving the book, any attempt to touch the files through the script results on InDesign crash.

Environment: Mac OSX 10.9.5 InDesign CS5.5, ExtendScript

If I run this code:

myBook.close();
      alert("Book closed");

I can see the alert pops up and the book on the background is still open. When I OK the alert box, the book starts closing. If I add any following script steps after the alert, they seems to be done before the book is saved/closed.

I tried so far:

• added a pause with $.sleep()
      • tried to set userInteractionLevel to Never_Interact
      • tried to open and close all added files in the book
      • tried to trash InDesign preferences / computer restart
      • tried to use while(){} and check it the book is still open - this results on eternal loop
      • disabled book-wide toc styles and auto numbering

Extract from crash report:

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
        eax: 0x00000040 ebx: 0x00000040 ecx: 0x00000040 edx: 0x00000000
        edi: 0xbfffac54 esi: 0x00000040 ebp: 0xbfffab88 esp: 0xbfffab70
        ss: 0x00000023 efl: 0x00010282 eip: 0x947d6bd5 cs: 0x0000001b
        ds: 0x00000023 es: 0x00000023 fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x0000000f
        cr2: 0x00000040

Logical CPU: 0
      Error Code: 0x00000004
      Trap Number: 14

Could anyone push me into the right direction? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: InDesign is crashing when opening a file from the book
          nicolaik Level 1

Sorry, I've realised it is impossible to answer this without looking at the other parts of the code.

After a lengthy investigation I am now looking at a particular area: saving files inside a loop

I am opening  template, load data from the database and save the file into the book folder, close file and move on to the next one

app.activeDocument.save(myFolder.fsName + "/" + filename +".indd");

app.activeDocument.close(SaveOptions.YES);

If I stop the script at this point (between two loop iterations) and check the folder, I can see that on the first save *.idlk file is created. When the document is closed the *.idlk file stays there, locking the file for edit. The file is added to the book later on the script. Any operations at a later stage crash InDesign.

I tried to run the script with ESTK and it behaves differently - on document close() the lock file disappears. Closing document with different options does not help.

If I pause script at the end of file creation loop and manually remove lock files - the script works absolutely fine.

I tried to reference *.idlk files and remove them through the script - again, it works fine.

This feels like a workaround and I am missing something. Does anyone has any advice on how to avoid file locks when closing a file?