20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 5:56 PM by SteveH59

I recently imported a movie into PE11

SteveH59 Level 1

and saved it to my desktop as an mp4 file that I have no problem seeing or listening to.

When I then import it to the timeline to edit it, there is no sound or anything under Audio 1 as there normally is.

What accounts for that, please? I do have a soundtrack which I can hear in the background, but can't hear people speaking (or any other sound) where I would normally see

under 'Audio 1'.

Thank you.

Steve

• 1. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Premiere Elements 11...what computer operating system?

Even though you can play back your file in one of your computer player's, we need to start by looking at the properties of the .mp4 file

as it relates to Premiere Elements with its own set of supported formats. Consequently, what are the properties of the source .mp4 file?

A quick way to get at that would be posting the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video.

We are looking for

Video compression

Audio compression (and Stereo 2 channel or 5.1 channel)

Frame size

Frame rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Are you getting error message during the import of the file into the project?

When you listen to the sound in the Edit area, did you do that with Window Menu/Audio Meters on to see what it showed for the volume

in terms of dB level.

Does the opened Audio 1 track appear to be empty or does it contain an audio file with no waveform even if you change the Audio Display Format

by clicking the speaker icon to the left of the name Audio 1? Did you apply Smart Mix? What is the volume level for each audio clip. Select an audio

clip, go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded to determine if the volume is set lower than 0.0 dB.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
            SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I am on Win 7 and the camcorder is a Sony Handycam (an antique now, but still useful). These are the properties (attached).

Properties.jpg

No, I don't get an error and I can see the visuals just fine - it's as if it is a silent movie but it's not.

I am not sure what you mean here: "When you listen to the sound in the Edit area, did you do that with Window Menu/Audio Meters on to see what it showed for the volume in terms of dB level?"

Yes the Audio 1 track is empty - normally green, isn't it? - but there is no green 'band' or waveform there.

No, I didn't apply smartmix - I just did what I normally do: import a clip and the video appears on the video track and the audio (and waveform) appears on Audio 1 - but it didn't happen in this case.

OK, I have just imported into the software a clip that I know works and I can see a normal audio/waveform in Audio 1. If I right-click on that, I cannot see this: Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel in Premier Elements 11. Maybe you have a different version?

Thanks again for your time.

Steve

• 3. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

If you obtained your Properties screenshot by right clicking the file's thumbnail in Project Assets, then the readout suggests that you imported both

video and audio into Premiere Elements 11 project. And that file is a PAL DV AVI Standard video with Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo.

You wrote

OK, I have just imported into the software a clip that I know works and I can see a normal audio/waveform in Audio 1. If I right-click on that, I cannot see this: Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel in Premier Elements 11. Maybe you have a different version?

Please reconsider, you are not doing what I wrote. I did not tell you to right click anything. I wrote

Select an audio clip, go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded to determine if the volume is set lower than 0.0 dB.

This is what the request looks like...in the screenshot, the volume is at its lowest possible level.

As a point of reference, 0.0 db in the Volume level settings represents the original volume of the recording not no sound.

rightclicker.JPG

Have you taken the clip in question into a new project and do you have sound for the file in the new project?

How many of these no sound movie files do you have at this time?

I was trying to work through these basics details so that we could rule factors in or out.

Below are some just in case mentions....

I am not sure what you mean here: "When you listen to the sound in the Edit area, did you do that with Window Menu/Audio Meters on to see what it showed for the volume in terms of dB level?"

When evaluating volume level in Premiere Elements, the use of the Audio Meter is an objective way to evaluate volume level. If you hear no sound, then the Audio Meter should show no activity. Is that the case?

Yes the Audio 1 track is empty - normally green, isn't it? - but there is no green 'band' or waveform there.

If you bring in a file with audio, the audio can present on the Timeline in two possible displays....

Normal...

a. Green background, orange band running horizontally across clip, and display a waveform

or

Green background, black band, have no waveform

When you are saying no sound, which applies to you...

nosoundwaveform expected.JPG

or

nosound2.JPG

ATR

• 4. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                SteveH59 Level 1

I see what you mean now.

Regarding your point 1, in a clip I have selected at random, I have imported it to the Timeline, separated the video from the audio and deleted the video so only the audio remains in Audio 1. It's a song and I can hear it perfectly. But in Adjustments | Volume for this same audio track, it shows 0.0 dB..

In the clips I have edited in the past, the audio appears as in your clip with the green band, while in the clip I have a problem with - the one with no sound - it appears as in your final screenshot. In my case, there is no green band or wavelength or sound.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                  Video journalist

hahhaah man it happened to me i well help u what kind of video camera u used it ?

so if u can used Pro sc5.5 it is best for u so if u used crack and pro cc u lost sitting of project ...

• 6. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Sorry, I have been misleading you unintentionally.

This is what I can see:

What I can see.jpg

Where you can see the waveform, the visuals above it are still images and some text and a soundtrack, but once the movie begins proper, the wavelength is non-existent and, as you can see, there IS a green bar.

• 7. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                      SteveH59 Level 1

It was a Sony Handycam

• 8. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                        Video journalist Level 1

yup most of Sony handy cam like this do not worry use Premier cs5.5 it well be ok it show u video and audio

• 9. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                          SteveH59 Level 1

It's got a hefty price tag!

• 11. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                            SteveH59 Level 1

I have had a trial version in the past. When you first open it up it looks dazzling - like a pilot's cockpit.

• 12. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Referring to your post numbered 4....

Regarding your point 1, in a clip I have selected at random, I have imported it to the Timeline, separated the video from the audio and deleted the video so only the audio remains in Audio 1. It's a song and I can hear it perfectly. But in Adjustments | Volume for this same audio track, it shows 0.0 dB.

The path to Volume Control in the Applied Tab route is a one at a time one. And, that one at a time route will be for the Timeline audio clip that you have selected/highlighted on the Timeline before you hit Applied Tab and went down that route to Volume control.... If you hear the music on the Timeline and find the Volume level at 0.0 dB in the Volume control panel, that is the level of the original recording. Above that value, the volume is increase (max 6 dB) and below that level the volume is lowered (max infinity symbol). So from what you wrote, you got what was "normal" for that particular clip.

I do not see anything that we can do in this project if the audio was not imported at all. But, we could consider the following

1. Have you imported the clip into another project and gotten the same result?

2. Can you firewire recapture the PAL DV Data (4:3), and put a new PAL DV.AVI 4:3 on the Timeline of a project?

3. When you did the original DV data capture firewire, did you capture into Premiere Elements to put PAL DV AVI 4:3 on the

Premiere Elements Timeline? Or did you use another program for the capture?

a. to produce a MPEG2.mpg file

or

b. to produce a DV.avi file Type 1 instead of Type 2.

Did you generate some of these files one way and others another way....or all from Sony HandCam as DV data capture firewire?

If you do not know all the details, knowing what program you used for the capture would help.

Please review and consider.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 13. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                SteveH59 Level 1

1. Have you imported the clip into another project and gotten the same result?

No, but I can try it over weekend on another computer that has PE11 also installed and see if the results are the same. If they are, I will have to import the movie again and save it in a format other than MP4.

2. Can you firewire recapture the PAL DV Data (4:3), and put a new PAL DV.AVI 4:3 on the Timeline of a project?

It is a firewire import - as I say, I may have to do it again.

3. When you did the original DV data capture firewire, did you capture into Premiere Elements to put PAL DV AVI 4:3 on the

Yes, I used Premiere Elements. I think I selected Add Media | DV camcorder and after editing I saved it as a MPEG2.mpg file.

When I import it, I meant to ask you, do I import the video clip first and then go to File | Project | New Project and sort out the settings, or do I do that before importing it?

Did you generate some of these files one way and others another way....or all from Sony HandCam as DV data capture firewire?

If you do not know all the details, knowing what program you used for the capture would help.

They were all captured and saved in the same way. I connect the camera to the PC via firewire, open up Premier Elements, and import the clip(s).

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

• 14. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Other posts have gotten in my way of seeing very important reply to me with critical troubleshooting information that you have now modified.

Once we are in sync on the details that we are trying to troubleshooting, we will be OK.

Focusing on the Premiere Elements question in the Premiere Elements Forum.....Premiere Pro (any version) is not going to

help you in this matter.

a. to produce a MPEG2.mpg file

or

b. to produce a DV.avi file Type 1 instead of Type 2.

So to the point...

1. Where are your video files coming from and how are they being outputted from the camera.

So far the impression has being PAL 720 x 576 4:3 from a Sony camcorder.

2. If these are capture firewire products from Premiere Elements...I would expect DV AVI 4:3 Type 2.

Now your screenshot shows, .mpg files, not .avi files. So how did you get from camera to these .mpg files.

3. Can you find out what audio codec is used? I suspect it is sowt. Just had a thread with the same looking waveform.

There the answer was to convert the file into H.264.mp4 in movie maker and then reimport that into Premiere Elements.

But all that should not be necessary if you original did a plain and simple DV data capture firewire.

Let us see what we can put together with details. Please refer to my posts immediately before this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                    SteveH59 Level 1

So far the impression has being PAL 720 x 576 4:3 from a Sony camcorder.

Yes, that's right via a firewire cable.

So how did you get from camera to these .mpg files.

I saved the clip in Premier Elements 11 in that format after editing it: Publish+Share | Computer | MPEG.

Should I be saving the clips as you suggest: AVI type 2?

Can you find out what audio codec is used?

Do you know how I would do that? Does Premier Elements tell me that?

Yes, you have been a great help.

• 16. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                      Video journalist Level 1

man if u want to be video editor do not use Premier Element use Adobe Premier it is very easy ...

• 17. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

The Type 1 and Type 2 applies to DV AVI.

So it sounds like you did the DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Windows, putting DV AVI 720 x 576 4:3 on your Timeline (that would be type 2 in that case - good). But then you edited the DV AVI 4:3 on the Timeline and saved to Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG to get what you have on the Timeline now and which has lost its audio component.

If you created that .mpg file using Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = PAL DV Standard and used the default settings then your audio is Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channel, not the sowt that I suspected when I thought you might be used other software.

If possible, could you download and install the free utility GSpot which will give use video and audio codec information regarding Video Codec, Name, and Status as well as Audio Name and Status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

This message was supposed to have been posted last night, but somehow was not. Not sure if it was due to the Adobe web people updating of the forums last night?

DV AVI type 2 has typically been the native format for Premiere Elements. So, unless circumstances beyond your control, it should be a quick and easy matter for you to do the DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements version 12/12.1 or earlier. You do not need Premiere Pro, for that and you should get excellent results. The DV data capture firewire will results with DV AVI type 2 on the Premiere Elements Windows Timeline; for HDV data capture, you get MPEG2.mpg. Please consider for your Sony HandyCam and if your program is Premiere Elements 12/12.1 or earlier.

Thank you.

ATR

• 18. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                          SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Many thanks for your great technical information - I have saved it as it will come in very useful in the future.

Regarding the query I had yesterday, I went to another PC (Win7) earlier today with the same clip on it. I opened PE11 there (installed from the same installation disk as my own - it was my PC previously) and there was nothing wrong with the file. I have now brought that mp3 file to my own PC and I can see in PE11 that there is an audio1 track.

That makes me think that the file I had trouble with yesterday was corrupt.

I did experiment with importing this mp3 file, editing it, and saving it in AVI format, but the drawback is the size of the AVI file. It was 10.9GB whereas the mp3 file is less that 3GB, so I have decided to work on the mp3 file that I brought from my old PC and which now has an audio track.

I have GSpot, thanks, and sometimes have noticed that while PE11 will tell me it does not recognise the clip I am trying to put on the timeline 'or you do not have the correct codec' (that happened this week, in fact, with an AVI file), GSpot has told me that the same codec is already installed! Occasionally, PE11 will also close down while I am editing something, Windows tries to identify the problem, and then advises to close the program meaning the work on the clip I was editing was a waste.

So, I am not really sure if the mp3 file yesterday had a bug or whether it was my PE11. What I do now is work on the timeline as quickly as possible in order to avoid getting the message that PE11 will close down.

Steve

• 19. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

If you run into any difficulties with a mp3 file, you might want to consider taking the file into iTunes and converting it to the wav version.

That can be an effective remedy for certain audio issues, whether the .mp3 be from iTunes or other.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

If you need any help with the iTunes how to, please let me know. I have used it before successfully.

GSpot is a good free utility for dealing with codec issues. But proceed with caution. Occasionally you can run into a situation

where the codec is installed, but just not available to Premiere Elements for some reason or another.

Good job following through with the troubleshooting on the second computer.

Best wishes

ATR

• 20. Re: I recently imported a movie into PE11
                                              SteveH59 Level 1

Many thanks for the Mac link, and for all your great help!

Steve