3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 5:15 AM by Ned Murphy

Water/electricity flowing through pipe simulation

enggradgrl

Hi all,

I am completely new to elearning development and Adobe Flash, in fact my job has forced it upon me. I am working on electrical safety training and the client would like a simulation. Any idea how I can simulate water or electricity flowing through a pipe or circuit. I'm not sure if Flash would be the best tool, but I have access to other Adobe products so any suggestions/guidance would be a great help to me.

Simple_Circuit_Screen_Shot.png

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Water/electricity flowing through pipe simulation
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One way to simulate something traveling along in a stream-like manner is to have a series of dots or dashes and then create a movieclip with x-number of frames that show the marks gradually advancing one frame at a time until they reach one step before the position of the starting point for the mark ahead of them.  For instance, say you have 3 dots in this animation.  Gradually adjust the position of them to move along until the first dot is just one frame-step away from being where the second dot started.  Then you lay copies of this animation end to end along whatever path you intend them to follow.  The animation will appear seamless as long as you connect everything up properly.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Water/electricity flowing through pipe simulation
            enggradgrl Level 1

Thank you Ned, I'll give this a try.

• 3. Re: Water/electricity flowing through pipe simulation
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One minor issue you might find about this approach is the lining up aspect, because the first dot of a new section needs to be placed where the last dot of the previous section will end up... which you can't see because the last dot is in its starting position when you are placing things along the path.  To get around this I used to put a dummy piece at the end position on a separate layer to use to line up the next section, and then once everything is hooked up I edit the movieclip and make that dummy piece layer a guide layer so that it does not appear in the animation when you run it.

1 person found this helpful