5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 7:19 AM by JFPhoton

Buying new PC for Adobe, need help

ufychs38996830

Hi everyone!

First thing, I apologise for my English, I hope you can understand my writing.

One of my best friends is photographer and graphic designer and she asked me for help buying a new PC because the old one broke (it was a laptop). She needs a desktop PC able to run Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Cinema 4D, Maya and V-Ray. She is not an expert and she is still learning these technologies so I think she is not going to get the best out of these programs.

I´m IT technician so I know a little about hardware, but I don´t work with this kind of software, and I find their system requirements specifications too simple. Her budget is 1000$ (she also needs a monitor). I know this budget is limited for this kind of work and software, so I was thinking about an AMD PC, pretty powerful but much cheaper than an intel core i7 + nVIDIA GTX 770 + SSD solution (it was the first I thought but it´s definitely out of her budget). I would suggest her a PC with these specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 or FX-8350

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 CL11 8GB (2x4GB) or DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4GB) -> 2 modules to take advantage of Dual-Channel.

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3

PSU: Tacens Radix VII AG 700W 80 Plus Silver

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2414H 24" LED IPS

Considering the system requirements of the programs, I think there is going to be no problem with the CPU because the PC is going to run under Windows 7 SP1 64bits or Windows 8.1 64 bits and she is not going to run MAC and it´s SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSE4 capable, but I´m not sure about the GPU....

Is this PC incompatible with these programs or any of their functions?

Thank you for your attention. I look forward to your response.

Regards!

• 1. Re: Buying new PC for Adobe, need help
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read ALL of the articles in Tweakers Page

• 2. Re: Buying new PC for Adobe, need help
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

read the tweakers page, but you will want to use a nvidia gpu. gtx 960 is similar to the amd you list. and at least 16gb ram (2x8gb), leaving room for 32gb upgrade if needed.

• 3. Re: Buying new PC for Adobe, need help
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you violated every rule in the Tweakers Page with your starting configuration except for the monitor.

• 4. Re: Buying new PC for Adobe, need help
                RjL190365 Level 4

Here are the issues:

1) The AMD CPUs that you listed are actually slower in Premiere Pro than even an Intel i5 CPU that lacks hyperthreading, let alone an i7 CPU.

2) Despite improvements in OpenCL support, Premiere's performance in OpenCL is still nearly two times slower than NVidia's CUDA with MPE's GPU-intensive modes. Because of that, the R9 280 is slower than a GeForce GTX 750 Ti – and may be as slow as a plain GTX 750 – in Premiere's MPEG GPU-accelerated mode. (In Windows versions of Premiere Pro CC or later, OpenCL is unavailable with an NVidia GPU installed, making CUDA the only GPU-accelerated mode available with an MVidia GPU.)

3) Your proposed build has only a single disk for absolutely everything – OS, programs, media cache, previews, media, projects and exports, all on the exact same single disk! That severely degraded performance due in large part to the single disk continually performing housekeeping tasks in addition to a gazillion other tasks. In fact, that single disk used in this way may very well be effectively six times slower than that disk is capable of performing – and disk performance these days is the biggest bottleneck in today's systems. Even the very fastest disks are the slowest part of a PC, and slowing that down by a factor of six is just plain foolish.

• 5. Re: Buying new PC for Adobe, need help
                  JFPhoton Level 3

...although not as powerful as a good desktop machine, it IS possible to get decent performance out of a quality GAMING laptop. Bill and I both have Asus G750JW machines that perform well. They can be connected to a high quality external monitor as well, with either the display port,or, the HDMI 1.4 port.

We .had to upgrade them ourselves to increase the memory and improve the storage by installing SATA III SSDs. Today's gaming laptops are even better than ours......for around $1,000 you may find a good i7 unit with an Nvidia GPU.....make sure you can put 32 GB of sytem memory in it yourself, if it doesnt already have it. Make sure it has at least TWO internal hard drive bays for two SSDs. Newer machines have more options like mSATA slots for SSDs.