8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 8:54 AM by Steffen Liss

why can't I undo on indesign

paula13545386 Level 1

I am an old photoshop and Quark express user coming back into the design world after a 7 year change of career.

I am now trying to use Creative Cloud and the indesign program. I find it difficult to use but I know its just a learning curve. So now to my delima, I have noticed that I can't use my undo command when I want to make a change. I also am trying to figure out why I can select any images or text boxes anymore in a document I am using. Its like the document some how got flattened. Please respond. I also notice that my text boxes sometimes change angles. Is this normal?

Paul

• 1. Re: why can't I undo on indesign
          Steffen Liss Level 1

Welcome Paul. When you know QuarkXpress than InDesign is easy to learn.

The reasons why you can't access any object on the canvas may be, that you locked them. Try "Object > Unlock All on Spread" or you have locked the layer you are working on. See the palette if there is a small lock before the layer name. Another option can be that you put your objects on the master page and now you are on the "normal" page. See the layer palette and double click on the master.

Text boxes with angles? You mean that they are no rectangles anymore? Select the object and go to "Object > Convert shape > Rectangle". The reason is that InDesign come with basic Illustrator functions. Always use the black arrow for general selecting purposes. The white arrow goes deeper into the objects and can manipulate e.g. the shape of a text field.

To navigate on the canvas you can hold "space bar".

• 2. Re: why can't I undo on indesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

None of what you describe is normal.

What version of ID? What OS?

You may need to trash your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 3. Re: why can't I undo on indesign
              paula13545386 Level 1

OS 10.10.2

Adobe CC 2014.2

The text box changing to an angle is odd also notice that the up & down arrow seemed to adjust the size of an image with in a  picture box. this is all very strange

• 4. Re: why can't I undo on indesign
                paula13545386 Level 1

which palette are you talking about? The whole document is all grouped together but I can’t ungroup it because it grayed out. I can only select all the unlock all on spread is also grayed out. there is only one layer

Regards,

Paul

• 5. Re: why can't I undo on indesign

Paul,

Please delete your personal info when replying by email. Also, the forums do not accept attachments, so if you want to show us an image it must be embedded into a post using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

Files can be shared through a link to a dropbox or file-sharing service.

• 6. Re: why can't I undo on indesign
                    paula13545386 Level 1

I found that a huge image box somehow was covering the document. problem solves

• 7. Re: why can't I undo on indesign

Are you experienced in using ID at all? Contrary to what Steffen says, in my experience it takes Quark users quite a while to lose the Quark mindset and stop translating how they think things should work based on how they are used to them working in the other program.

One of the main points of pain is how master pages work. Getting used to the the two selection tools, and switching by double-clicking without changing tools, can also take some time.

• 8. Re: why can't I undo on indesign
                        Steffen Liss Level 1

ah. it can happen when you click on the larger white rectangle in the bottom right corner. This is for linking text frames for text threads. If you click it and then click on a free space on your canvas InDesign creates a new empty frame when there was no overflow.