8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 5:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?

Willoid

JUST installed Premier 13 and downloaded 9 files from the video card. When playing the files, the video portion continues to the end of the file as it should. However, on each and every file, the audio portion stops when the playback counter reaches 30 seconds. When I play the files back directly from the card through Media Center or any other audio program, both the audio and video continue to the end of the file as they should. What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Willoid

Have you updated 13 to the 13.1 Update? If not, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Update. What computer operating system is involved?

What give the properties of these 9 files from the video card (assumed memory card used in your camera). What is the brand/model/settings for the camera

that recorded these files. Please confirm if the video and audio files are separate or if video and audio components in one file.

Does the problem exist even if you start a new project?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Depending on the reply, we might ask if you could post a screenshot representing the audio 30 second stop

position in relation to the rest of the workspace.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
            Willoid Level 1

ATR

Yes, accomplished the update at initial install. Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Panasonic HC-V550 camera auto setting. Video/audio in one file. Each file is a new project started at different times, on same card (PNY Elite  SD 32 GB).

Many Thanks!

• 3. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Willoid

Thanks for the additional details which are very helpful.

I checked the details of your Panasonic HC-V550 and have these questions about the video that you are using from it....

Panasonic HC-V550K - Panasonic V550: Full HD WiFi Enabled 50X Stable Zoom Camcorder

1. For recording did you select AVCHD or MP4. Please confirm if AVCHD, 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second with audio Dolby Digital 2 channel (AVCHD.mts).

2. Are you using for import...Add Media/Videos from Flip or Camera/Video Importer rather than Add Media/Files and Folders?

3. If you transferred one of these videos  from the memory card to the computer hard drive and then imported that file into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and

Folders, do you still have the audio issue?

4. If you are recording AVCHD.mts, please compare the results from the camera's MP4 choice which is also using  AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression according to

Panasonic (see link above). Any difference with regard to the audio problem in Premiere Elements? With the AVCHD.mp4 that you put on the TImeline, the audio will be AAC 2 channel and not Dolby Digital.

We will be watching for your results.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask and I will be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Willoid

Add On...what is the duration of these files?

ATR

• 5. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
                  Willoid Level 1

Had to step away from the computer due to doorbell ... back now ...

1. Confirming AVCHD settings.

2. Confirming import ... Add Media/Videos from Camera or Card Reader rather than Add Media/Files and Folders.

3. Have not done so as yet ... will try after getting these to you.

4. Same as #3.

Thx, WS

• 6. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
                    Willoid Level 1

1. Confirming AVCHD settings.

2. Confirming import ... Add Media/Videos from Camera or Card Reader rather than Add Media/Files and Folders.

3. Transferring in AVCHD from SD card to HDD then importing to P13 via both methods ... same audio issue.

4. Recording similar scene and recording length in MP4, P13 will not import "from Camera/Card Reader, HOWEVER will import with Media Files/Folders ... with no audio issue at all.

So, #4 has taken care of the current audio issue, and as this is my first venture into any kind of digital video, so I will continue to work on getting it figured out. I am historically a still shooter (50+ years behind a finder), currently happily processing with CS2 and/or Lightroom 3.

Thank you very much ATR for your guidance through the new muddy waters.

• 7. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Willoid

Thanks for looking into the suggestions.

We will be watching for your results and then be directed by them to decide what next.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier 13 - Why Does Audio Playback Stop at 30 Seconds?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Willoid

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that the MP4 choice giving you AVCHD.mp4 (AAC audio) on the Timeline presents without the issues of the AVCHD.mts (Dolby Digital).

I have been seeing a lot of issues lately where having the AVCHD.mp4 version, instead of the AVCHD.mts version, on the project's Timeline has resolved several issues (stability, audio, etc.). In my thinking, I have not defined cause and effect yet on these matters beyond "trend says it works for .mp4 in these cases. Yours was the first that I have seen with this 30 second stoppage of audio.

Best wishes. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR