5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 3:45 PM by dwgregg

2014 cc User Interface colorway

rj_uk2906 Level 1

So I have just upgraded to 2014 and I am really struggling with the new user interface colors.

In particular the timeline and the highlighted keyrframes. Previously they were yellow. Now they are a pale blue. Yellow is a lot easier color to see on a grey background than light blue. I have to double check every time that I have indeed selected things. The same is true for some of the other information like the spinners. All dynamic controls used to be yellow and easy to spot, now they are blue and merge into the background.

Is there anyway to change the secondary color used in AE?

• 1. Re: 2014 cc User Interface colorway
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you're running the latest update to 2014 (13.2.0.49) as some things were made a bit better.

You can change the interface color overall in the preferences. Adjusting the grey colors may help you see the blue better.

There have been many discussions about the new color on these forums and the AE team has mentioned that they are aware of the issues some people are experiencing with visibility and I'm sure they'll address the issues soon.

• 2. Re: 2014 cc User Interface colorway
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

No.  You're stuck with the colors you have for now.

Adobe has promised a fix to that in an update scheduled for "the spring".  So look for it any time between March 21 and June 21, I guess.

• 3. Re: 2014 cc User Interface colorway
              rj_uk2906 Level 1

Damn, that is a shame. Luckily I still have 2013 installed and I only need 2014 for this one project ( I suppose I could always backwards compatible the save) otherwise I'm not sure how long my eyes will last with the new colors. It seems all wrong. Highlights are in the least highty color, things like rulers are in bright white and there is far to much negative space around icons and tabs. I feel my eyes drift away from where the should be looking. Role on spring and hope there is some improvement.

• 4. Re: 2014 cc User Interface colorway
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Hey, I'm now running AE version 12 at work -- AKA the original CC, the only one the Home Office currently allows us to have -- and I've tweaked it so it looks a lot like the user interface shading used WAAAAY back in AE Version Number Three.... and I'm not talkin'  CS3, either.

I think Adobe got it right the first time when they came up with the original user interface background colors.  I can't stand that flippin' gray stuff.  It's a pain in the butt visually, as far as I'm concerned.

• 5. Re: 2014 cc User Interface colorway
                  dwgregg

I can't stand that "oh, so cool" light type on a dark background since it is oh, so hard on my eyes.  (It's also really old hat as a default.)

I don't know whose idea changing the color environment was, but don't let them near such decision making again and restore my control over an easy to read dark type on light background environment.