3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 1:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements and SDI Capture?

Rich Hall Reps

Hi - I'm a Premiere Pro user but a customer is setting up a retail video capture situation that will be operated by non-video folks. The customer wants to use a Canon XA-25 to stream video via SDI capture to a computer. Will Premiere Elements do that?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements and SDI Capture?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich Hall Reps

As far as I can tell Canon XA-25 is not a mini DV or HDV camcorder with an iLink for DV or HDV data capture firewire into a Premiere Elements capture window. In that regard, Adobe has removed that feature from its latest version 13/13.1. Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is the last version to have this feature which has a classical history of working only with a firewire connection. In Premiere Elements 13/13.1, Add Media will not include DV Camcorder or HDV Camcorder. The surviver is Webcam or WDM with description "Capture video from webcam or other WDM compatible device".

But, my interpretation of what you are seeking is not DV or HDV capture firewire, but rather live streaming of uncompressed video from the Canon XA-25 using the Canon SDI Output

HD-SDI - Canon UK

Canon XA25: Our New Favorite Camera - Association Studios

The following Adobe document was pointed to 3 months ago by a staff member responding to a user question on Live Video Streaming using Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements: How do capture live / streaming video?

The link pointed to does not appear to be updated for 13/13.1 which was released September 24, 2014.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Capture video from camcorders and webcams

Based on the above, I am not sure if the Canon output can be made to work with the Add Media/Webcam or WDM choice with the Canon being recognized in the Capturing Source field of the Webcam or WDM Capture Window. Do you have any version of Premiere Elements to explore this possibility?

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements and SDI Capture?
            Rich Hall Reps Level 1

I don't have Premiere Elements but could download a trial version I suppose. I really wish the documentation for Adobe software were more complete on the Adobe site. Having to search for tutorials and watch them is not the ideal way to learn about a products capabilities. That said, a trial version may be. thanks so much for the help A.T.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements and SDI Capture?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich Hall Reps

Thanks for the reply. Please let us know the outcome.

If you have the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Help PDF file (often referred to as the manual), you will find it helpful. However, be aware that it has several places where the information is that of an earlier version, not 13/13. In those instances, the information is right for the earlier version but not 13/13.1.

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

The Premiere Elements 13/13.1 tryout can be gotten as download from Adobe. But there are tryout files also available from the following web site for versions 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13

ProDesignTools: Adobe® Developments in Focus

You pull up the tryout version that you want by typing in Search field, Premiere Elements 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13 tryout.

You just need to carry out carefully the web site's Note: Very Important Instructions to avoid an Access Denied message.

Best wishes

ATR