29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 4:44 PM by petterman

Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?

petterman

I Have 3 videos that I have edited and now I tried to burn them to DVD, I keep getting message when encoding; Adobe Pre El 12 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. what can I do?

• 1. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

Just before you hit Burn in the burn dialog, what do you see in the burn dialog's Quality area for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to "Fit Content

to Available Space"?

Also, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and tell us what is shown there for the Disc Encoding, location pointed to as well as the amount of free

space at that location.

With regard to this matter, would you say

"it worked before but not now"

or

"it never worked before"?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your reply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
            petterman Level 1

I am using Windiws8.1. I tried updating and it said I have update .

Space required 4.38 gb  and bitrate 7.39 mpbs.

Disk encoding location (Same as Project) free space (782.1 gb.

I have done many videos and it always worked until now.

• 3. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the reply.

Your Space Required and Bitrate readings are indicating that the program is working to fit your Timeline content on the disc by

lowering the Bitrate to reduce the file size to keep it within the disc capacity. For DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes, in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB.

Do you have a disc menu in this project? If so, please check out the spacing of the Timeline menu markers and also the spacing of the buttons

of the main menu and scene selection page of the disc menu in the Movie Menu customization area of the project. How many main menu pages

and how many scene selection pages does the project have? How many Timeline menu markers? No stop marker should be at the end of the last item on the

Timeline.

Factors to look at:

1. Does removal of the disc menu and Timeline menu markers allow for successful burn to disc?

2. If disc menu and Timeline menu markers remain, does cutting the Timeline content in half allow for a successful

burn to disc?

3. Do you have a DVD double layer single sided disc (8.5 GB/240 minutes) to use for the burn to disc? In reality, 8.5 GB will be

7.95 GB).

Please review and consider and then we will decide what next if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                petterman Level 1

I don’t have a disc menu or markers on the videos. It is 1 hr 16 min long and I have put a lot more than that on a DVD. The videos are from some old 8mm tapes and they have a lot of bad parts that I edit out.

• 5. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the reply.

Although you have had success with many prior projects which were longer, we need to address this project from all angles and not take anything for granted.

Have you gone through all the suggestions and comments in post 3 and ruled them out by carrying them out? If you do not have disc menus, that rules out that

as a factor. Please go back and inspect the content and construction of the Timeline content with the Timeline expanded using the -+ slider above the Timeline.

What are you creating - DVD VIDEO 4:3 on DVD disc?

Please consider. And, see if you can recall any differences in this project as compared to the successes. I will be watching for your progress in the morning.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                    petterman Level 1

I edited the videos again one at a time and put them each on a DVD 4.3 and they worked fine. I Don’t know if I did anything deferent.  I have been doing a lot videos and using a lot of space. I still have 729 gb of 1.81 tb of space.

Let me know what you think?

• 7. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the reply.

In spite of your present computer resources...

Check for pile up of preview files and conformed audio and clear them out. You can find the locations for these types of files

in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Files. Deletion of preview files will result and Timeline render for the file involved if you need previews.

Deletion of conformed audio will result in their automatic regeneration by the program when and if the program decides it needs them.

Even if you do not carry through to burn to disc in ImgBurn, are you able to take successfully the 3 videos on the Timeline to burn to folder to get

a saved folder which contains OpenDVD Folder and the essential VIDEO_TS Folder. That information would factor in or out any involvement

in the problem of the burner or DVD disc.

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                        petterman Level 1

I found the preview files, but couldn’t find conformed audio files. I opened preview files from the 3 videos and there were 3 clips that wasn’t rendered and when I clicked on the clip it said windows media player could not play the clips.

• 9. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the reply. Focusing on the preview files for the moment....

When you Timeline render a Timeline still or video in a SD project, the preview file is DV AVI file.

When you Timeline render a Timeline still or video in a HD project, the preview file is MPEG2.mpg with a companion information file with a .xmp file extension.

The DV AVI and MPEG2.mpg should play back in the Window Media Player. The .xmp should not play back in the Window Media Player.

Please confirm what you found and what you tried to play back in the Windows Media Player.

Where did Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks show for the location of the Media Cache category there?

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                            petterman Level 1

The clips that don’t play are AVI files, when I try to play them I get message; Windows Media player cannot play the file. The player may not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Location of Media Cache category is (Custom) Path: C:\users…ata\Roaming\Adobe\Commons\      672.1 GB

• 11. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the additional information. If you have 672.1 GB of conformed audio files in the Media Cache Files Folder, time to delete them.

The program will automatically regenerated any of them that it feels it needs.

Just to make sure that there was no overlapping in the discussions so that some information got skipped....please confirm with regard to this .avi file that will

not play back in Windows Media Player....

a. Is this .avi file an export from Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Publish+Share/Computer/AVI? If so, what did you set for Presets?

If you have not deleted the contents of the Media Cache Files Folder, it will be interesting to see the affect of that deletion on the performance of the Premiere Elements workflow and computer.

ATR

• 12. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                petterman Level 1

I’m not sure what you mean about export from in (a) My preset was : editing mode DV NTSC. Time base 29.97fps. Video Settings Frame Size 720h 480v (1.212.1) Frame rate 29.97 frame/ second

Pixels Aspect Ratio D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16.9 (1.212.1). Fields: Lower Field First.  Audio Settings: Sample Rate 48000 samples/second. Default Timeline: Total video tracks 3. Master Tracks Type: Sterio. Mono track 0. Stereo tracks 3. 5.1 tracks 0 .

I haven’t deleted anything yet.

• 13. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for your confirmation on your import export associated with the "cannot play .avi file in Windows Media Player".

From your confirmation information, looks like NTSC DV Widescreen imported and NTSC DV Widescreen exported from Premiere Elements. That NTSC DV AVI Widescreen

would be expected to play back without issue in the Windows Media Player. So, if you have not already, please try to play back the file in another computer

player like VLC player VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! or Media Player Classic HC Home · MPC-HC

The amount of conformed audio files sounds excessive, over 600 GB.

ATR

• 14. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                    petterman Level 1

I tried VLC and MPC-HC players and neither one would play the clips.

• 15. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the follow up.

Any chance of you sending one of the clips that will not play back in your computer players?

If possible, could you send a sample via a Dropbox link posted in your reply in your thread?

ATR

• 16. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                        petterman Level 1

I tried to send video I got message: the file you are attaching is bigger than the server allows, try putting the file in a shared location and sending a link instead. I don’t know how to do that.

• 17. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the reply.

How large is the sample?

How did you try to send the sample - Dropbox or other?  I am trying to get some advice for the sending. Working on that now.

ATR

• 18. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                            petterman Level 1

The file is 29.5 MB. I used Attach file  for sending . I don’t know what you mean by dropbox. I have 3 other clips that or 0 bytes and one that is 214 MB and 1 that is 172 MB

• 19. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Dropbox is what is described as a file hosting service. Several have Dropbox installed to computer and use it for the sending of especially larger file sizes.

I prefer not to ask for samples unless it would expedite the troubleshooting. In this case, i think it would significantly. I working on advice for the sending from

John T. Smith.

ATR

• 20. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                petterman Level 1

I don’t have dropbox so what do I do next?

• 21. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Have you used Google Drive for sharing? It is free and looks easy to do. I have not used it before. First try was successful.  I did a mini test run just now. It seems to work so that I could take a file from my computer, marked it access to only those with the link, post the link in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum reply, and being able to open the video there and download from there to my computer.

1. In the browser address bar, type in drive.google.com

2. In the page that opens,

Look to the left column - to see

Drive

Create (with an Upload button, arrow pointing upward, to the right of the word Create)

Click on that Upload button and select Files

In the File Upload dialog, browse to and select the file for sending. Then click Open at the

bottom of the File Upload dialog.

Now look to the bottom right to a pop up Upload Panel where you will see your file. When the upload is finished as indicated there, click on Share in the named file's line.

In the Share With Others, leave as is. Just click on the Advanced Button there.

In the Who Has Access, click on Change... on the line which starts with Private.

In the box that appears, turn On "Anyone with a ink". Click the Save button to close out of there.

In the Sharing Settings, copy the link to the Share and click Done.

Paste the link from in the Sharing Settings in a reply in your thread.

Here is my example

1920-1080-PZ.jpg - Google Drive

You should be able to download the jpg from the download link within the posted link.

Let us see if it works. If not, back to the drawing board.

ATR

• 22. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have my own web site with an automatic 10Gig of space from my hosting company, so I have never used a service like dropbox... I suggest Googling to find out how to use that, or another file sharing service

As for your problem with some AVI files...

AVI is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing, that does not work?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate or a Constant Frame Rate?

• 23. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

In an earlier part of this thread, petterman's details indicated that the .avi was DV AVI Widescreen.

ATR

• 24. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                        petterman Level 1

I have been away from my computer for awhile . I opened the link from Google Drive and it worked, so I will try to send a link to you of the clip that don’t play.

• 26. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the sending. So far, some difficulty in obtaining it.

When I open your link (post 25), I find a "Whoops! This video is not yet processed."

I will open the link periodically in the coming hours to watch for its progress in getting fully processed.

ATR

• 27. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                            petterman Level 1

I am sending another clip with 0 gb . let’s see if that one sends.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NoEIi1G1qjN3Buamx5blhYNUE/view?usp=sharing

• 28. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for trying another sending. This one arrived with the same "Whoops! This video is not yet processed" message.

ATR

• 29. Re: Why does my Adobe pre Ele 12 stop working?
                                                                petterman Level 1

I don’t think the sending is working on the clips. I think I will just delete the videos that have the bad clips in them. I do have them on DVD discs. What do you think I should do?