9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 1:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe

miken53881914 Level 1

I have an odd question. I want to use Adobe Premiere Pro to make a special video for a friend but I need to take out clips from a few movie's and shows for this to happen. I didn't see anything on Adobe that can help so my guess is to use DVD ripping software like 'Handbrake' to rip what I need and then transfer the files to Adobe. Is this correct or is there another way?

• 1. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
          A.T. Romano Level 7

miken

I need clarification...

1. What is your video editor - Premiere Pro? If so, you should be posting your question in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum.

Premiere Pro CC

Some how your thread got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

2. What is your source

a. DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc from which you want to copy the DVD video files starting with VTS_01_1.VOB?

or

b. A movie file of some format from which you want to extract scenes?

Premiere Elements has a special Add Media/DVD camera and computer drive choice for what is referred to as ripping VOBs from DVD disc.

As for a movie file as your source in Premiere Elements, you can import that and trim it in its Preview Windows.

Depending on your reply,

a. you can continue this thread as a Premiere Elements topic, if applicable

b. re-post your thread in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum

or

c. wait for moderator here to see your thread here and move it from here to the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum

ATR.

• 2. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
            miken53881914 Level 1

Hello,

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

I want to know which file can work on uploading a DVD video to Adobe. I'm new to all of this and was wondering if there's a way without adding another something like 'Handbrake' or anything since I already have Adobe.

What you just said about the Add Media/DVD camera does help answer my question. I will try it soon and see if it'll work. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
              A.T. Romano Level 7

miken

Thanks for the reply.

The Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer should work nicely.

Some will tell you that you need to convert the DVD video files to MPEG2 before use in Premiere Elements. I have not

found that to be the case in the versions of Premiere Elements that I have worked with, 4 through 13.. A few have run into audio out of sync issues with a ripped DVD video file, but that is not usual, and there are remedies for that to get the individual video files seamless merged into one DVD.VOB if it does occur.

We will be watching for your progress when you schedule permits.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
                miken53881914 Level 1

Hello again,

I still need help. I tried loading a movie to Adobe Premiere Elements 12 through the ADD FILE but when I tried it took awhile to load and it looked like through the 'preview' video would play but no audio, and it looked like it didn't load the film. Unless I missed something, it looks like didn't work.

I do have a device called 'EASYCAP CAPTURE USB 2.0' so I think that might work but it also has a CD with an editing system with it.

My question is if I use EASYCAP to make a file for whatever movie I need clips from, can I transfer that file over to Adobe Premiere?

• 5. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

miken

Thanks for the update.

Are we still discussing ripping DVD video files from a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? If we are.....

When you

I tried loading a movie to Adobe Premiere Elements 12 through the ADD FILE but when I tried it took awhile to load and it looked like through the 'preview' video would play but no audio, and it looked like it didn't load the film

• Did you specifically insert your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc into the burner tray
                  • Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to its Expert workspace
                  • Used  Add Media/"DVD camera and computer drive"/Video Importer....In the Video Importer dialog was the Source set to the drive into which the DVD disc was inserted?
                  • If so, did you see there at least the  thumbnail for VTS_01_1.VOB file.

You should be using only the DVD video files...starting with VTS_01_1.VOB. Depending on the duration of the content on the disc, you may have a series of DVD video files. But, for now

finding the VTS_01_1.VOB and determining its video and audio quality is the priority.

As for the Easycap Capture USB 2.0...I have never used that device. And, I do not believe it is for the purpose of ripping DVD video files from a DVD disc.

I suspect its description is for DV data capture via USB into a software Capture Window. A firewire, not USB, connection works in Premiere Elements process of  DV and HDV capture into the Premiere Elements Capture Window. Version 13 no longer has this feature.

Please review to make sure that we are together on the details and the goals at this point.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
                    miken53881914 Level 1

Sorry for the lack of info.

I put the DVD in my computer DVD Drive.

Premiere was in Expert mode.

Pressed ADD MEDIA from DVD DRIVE.

I did see thumbnails with that file name.

No file in the VTS_01_1.VOBfile

VIDEO_TS.VOD has a video but plays only for three seconds before freezing and it's just the video disclaimer.

VTS_01_2.VOB has a picture from the film and when played no video and audio sounds wrapped.

And it did say their were fifteen files that were over 4 GB.

• 7. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

miken

Thanks for the additional details.

If possible, could you post a screenshot of what you see when you explore for DVD video files on the DVD disc with DVD-VIDEO format on it?

If not, then could you tell me how many of the following do you find on the discs?

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_02_1.VOB

VTS_03_1.VOB

VTS_04_1.VOB

VTS_05_1.VOB

Each of the five above are likely to have as many as five files in its sequence...so for first could have at least 5 files in that sequence

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

VTS_01_4.VOB

VTS_01_5.VOB

before it gets to the second sequence that starts

VTS_02_1.VOB

etc.

If you go through the whole of these DVD video files on the DVD disc, what are the sequences on your DVD disc and where in those sequence do you find the files with the

largest file size among them?

ATR

• 8. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
                        miken53881914 Level 1

Well, I'm writing in to say that I'm going to stop trying to use the DVD Drive on my computer to upload to Adobe. I'm going to try something else. I do appreciate all the help you gave me and I will ask for your service again when I need it. Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Do I need a dvd rip software to transfer clips over to Adobe
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

miken

Thank you for letting me know of your planned troubleshooting strategy.

If you decide that you want to revisit the Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera and computer drive/Video Importer, we would be glad

for the opportunity to explore that with your current disc or another which may or may not run into the same issues.

Best wishes.

ATR