Adobe AIR Beta Channel Update
This beta release provides access to the latest AIR SDK for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android. You can download the AIR beta here: Download Adobe AIR 17 Beta - Adobe Labs
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 17. Please see our release notes for full details.
- ADT Packaging time Improvement with Support for Parallel Compilation
AIR 16 introduced support for compilation and packaging of iOS applications for both 32 bit and 64 bit platforms. With this improvement, we can now compile 32 and 64 bit architecture in parallel to cut packaging times up to 50 percent.
- Stage3D - Standard Extended Profile for Mobile
In version 14 of the Runtime we added the new Standard profile to desktop systems. In Version 15 we expanded that to mobile devices in AIR. In Flash Player 16 we added a new Standard Constrained profile. Now with version 17 we're adding a new Standard Extended Profile for iOS and Android devices that support GLES3 which is a new constant in Context3DProfile class. Availability of “standardExtended" profile indicates the availability of AGAL3. The same profile name can then be used in requestContext3D and requestContext3DMatchingProfiles methods of Stage3D. The “standardExtended” profile requires OpenGL ES 3.0 on mobile platform. Nowadays, there are many high-end smartphones and tablets that have support for OpenGL ES3.0, (iPhone 5S/6/6 Plus, iPad Air, Samsung S5, Samsung Note3, Nexus 5/9/ etc.). AGAL3 increases register limits for vertex attributes, fragment constants and tokens. While we're focusing on mobile first, we anticipate bringing this functionality to the desktop in a future update.
To assemble the new AGAL, update AGALMiniAssembler.as(AGAL v3) from https://github.com/adobe-flash/graphicscorelib/.
- VideoTexture Support in AIR for Windows, Mac and iOS
We've introduced a new ActionScript feature that allows hardware accelerated video to be used as a source texture in a Stage3D environment. Currently, using video with Stage3D requires the use of the Video object, which is not accelerated, and manipulation of the bitmap representations of the video frames. This new feature, called VideoTexture, allows direct access to a texture object that is sourced from a Netstream or Camera object. As of the first Flash Player 17 beta this feature is back and now available on AIR Mac, Windows and iOS. Please see our release notes for complete details.
- [AIR Desktop] Graphical Glitches when bitmap scaling property is set to some negative value and smoothing property set to true.(3916063)
- [iOS simulator] On packaging ipa for simulator with Xcode 5, “ Application architecture is not supported on ios” error message appears.
- [iOS] App Crashes when publishing app with deployment Ad hoc + Fast packager with Feathers Button and Bitmap Fonts
- [iOS]Runtime Error #1074 while initializing app, if static constant is defined in Class.
- [Android] Cameraroll API doesn't work with Android Photos applications.
- [Android] Crash in Air for Android for Netconnection.connect()
- Status bar disappears for non fullscreen application, On programmatically changing application rotation from landscape to portrait while device is still held in portrait position. (Bug 3941774)
About the Beta Channel
If you would like real-time notification for announcements related to the AIR Beta Channel please follow the Flash Runtime Announcements forums by choosing "Follow this forum" from the right-hand menu on the Forums page.
You can find instructions for getting started with this release here: AIR Labs Page