7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 2:31 AM by Rick Gerard

creating multiple maks

Indie767 Level 1

I'm new to AE so please bear with me. I'm trying to create multiple mask, rotoscoping, to create alpha channels for composting. It seems I can only create one mask and one alpha at a time so I have to export to video and import that video back in to AE and then create a new mask to achieve desired results. This is very tedious and time consuming so can AE do rootscoping or should I try another solution. (I read the help section on the Adobe but it doesn't really instruct.

• 1. Re: creating multiple maks
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can have any number of masks on a layer, but naturally you may need to change their properties to get the correct behavior. Impossible to advise since you have provided zero useful info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: creating multiple maks
            JohnyFive Level 2

yes like Mylenium mentioned, give more information...what are u masking exactly. you can make as many masks as you want on a footage layer, just set them all to "none". when u make the masks on the layer, u can press m on ur keyboard to reveal ur masks... then u go to the right, in the middle, u will see different settings for the masks...if u set it them to none, u can keep masking the objects u want to mask in ur video....then u set the first mask to ADD, and then the mask below to i think ADD again..etc...play around with it...u can even invert the masks with the check mark. Have fun with it = )

• 3. Re: creating multiple maks
              JohnyFive Level 2

and when u click on the mask, press f and u can set the feather of the mask

• 4. Re: creating multiple maks
                Indie767 Level 1

Thanks, I think I figured it out. FYI, I'm using the pen tool to shape masks. I'm cutting out TV screens so I can comp new images in the screen. On another note, I cannot find a way to enter an expression. Again, I referred to the Adobe online help section but those sections appear to be out of date, the section I pulled off the screen below does not match my version of software...the features don't seem to exist as stated below.

For example the "A", "B" "C" and "D" buttons shown above don't appear on my software, I'm assuming this help section is out dated so can anyone direct me to an online resource for the current version of AE 2014?

• 5. Re: creating multiple maks
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those buttons don't appear until you add an expression. You enable an expression by holding down the Alt/Option key and clicking on the stopwatch or by selecting the property and using the menu to go to Animation>Add Expression exactly as it states in the Help files. Just below your screenshot you'll see:

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 2.01.11 AM.png

• 6. Re: creating multiple maks
                    JohnyFive Level 2

for the screen replacement, it will be alot easier using Mocha for AE... click ur footage layer,...then go to Animation ---> Track in Mocha AE

it will open in Mocha, and google or youtube search Mocha tutorials for Screen replacement. will be much easier, especially if there's any camera movement.

• 7. Re: creating multiple maks
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

to johnyFive...

This depends entirely on the shot.

To anyone asking questions on the forum, complete details and screenshots help us answer questions. Questions like How do I add multiple masks leave open too many options for answers that may not be suitable to your workflow. This thread's original question was pretty good because it almost explained the problem.

Here's a short and quick example of how to do manual roto with multiple masks using AE's stabilize motion (not warp stabilize) tools and a solid as a track matte. EZ PZ....