5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 6:39 AM by dj_paige

Why is lightroom taking so long to edit and show results

gregge12066954

while editing my photos lightroom is lagging behind by a few seconds, I have Lightroom 5 latest update installed, windows 7 64 bit, please could somebody help, I am not able to get hold of anybody at adobe, so frustrating

• 1. Re: Why is lightroom taking so long to edit and show results
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Call up Task Manager and look at how many processes are running and at the Performance tab to see what amount of CPU cycles, %, are being used.

I suspect you have many many processes running, like over 100, and the % of CPU cycles is above 15 to 20

• 2. Re: Why is lightroom taking so long to edit and show results
            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try optimising your catalog which is under the File menu.

Also you may want to say how much RAM your PC has as well as the processor type? Where are the catalog and images kept tooo?

• 3. Re: Why is lightroom taking so long to edit and show results
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

One thing to keep in mind when editing in the develop module is the fact that as each change is applied Lightroom re-renders the original file and applies all the edits. Depending on the volume of edits being applied they will be a wait for it to be completed.

Edits like lens correction, sharpening, noise reduction, spotting etc can demand lots of processing power, hence the need for lots of ram. 

• 4. Re: Why is lightroom taking so long to edit and show results
                JoeKostoss Level 4

In the "Catalog Settings", under the Metadata tab, if the "Automatically write changes in XMP" box is checked, LR will continuously write changes as you move sliders.  This can slow the response from LR as it becomes busy writing each and every change as you are making these changes.  Try unchecking this box.  If you want the Metadata stored with the image, you can add it after all changes are complete by going to the main METADATA dropdown menu at the top of the screen and selecting "Save Metadata to File".  I am not sure where "Catalog Settings" is found in Windows; in a Mac, it is found under the main LIGHTROOM dropdown menu.

• 5. Re: Why is lightroom taking so long to edit and show results
                  dj_paige Level 9

In the "Catalog Settings", under the Metadata tab, if the "Automatically write changes in XMP" box is checked, LR will continuously write changes as you move sliders.  This can slow the response from LR as it becomes busy writing each and every change as you are making these changes.  Try unchecking this box.

This shouldn't cause any noticeable speed difference when turned on. This causes such a trivial amount of data to be written that you will not notice. Perhaps it was a problem in LR2, but not in LR5. If the Develop module is noticeably slow in LR 5, it is because of the reasons that DdeGannes explained, plus brushing.