27 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 8:25 PM by ron_s

DVD menu scrambled when reopen project

dd1947

Have had this problem on multiple projects in PE 13.  After creating a DVD menu and closing the project the menu is scrambled when I reopen the project.  Here is an example of the title when created.

First Baptist Church

Millersville

February 22, 2015

And this is what it looks like now

First Baptist Church
Millersville
February 22, 2015

The test for the links to the video and the chapters are still good.  But the chapter menu is all messed up.  The width of some of the buttons have changed and the font of the text change size.

• 1. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

What specific Movie Menu theme are you using? And, on what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 running? Are you altering the default font and font size or just changing the text itself?

What is the Timeline duration when you are in the Movie Menu customization part of the project?

Assuming that your version is on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the

whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 13.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If necessary, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Please review and consider. With the information requested I will try to reproduce your issue. I have not seen it reported before.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
            dd1947 Level 1

Menu theme =General > Faux Widescreen.  I added a picture for the background

Win 8 64 bit

I think I changed the font size.  Made tree lines instead of the default 1 line.  It is showing the Font Size at 102 pt but that may have change when it scrambled because it is much too large now.

You asked "What is the Timeline duration when you are in the Movie Menu customization part of the project?"  Are you asking for the total length of the project?  It is 2:18:16:10.  This is longer than normal.  Most are less than 2 hours.  I have two services in the project (morning and evening) with the menu setup to be able to select either service and scenes for the morning service.

I will do the perfs deletion tomorrow.

Also having problem with adobe not detecting the burner this time although it has worked in the past.  But guess that should be in a separate thread?

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ddi947

OK if you stay in this thread. It may turn out that there may be some overlap of issues.

If you are using a standard DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes), that 4.7 GB is in reality 4,38 GB. 2 hours and 18 minutes 16 seconds 10 frames is too much for this disc.

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray, what does the burn dialog's Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate (when you have a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space?

If you make a copy of your project (File Menu/Save A Copy) and work from the copy, what happened to the text situation if you cut down to 90 minutes? Does that

impact the text situation?

See what gains we make with deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and then we can decide what next. We may have to continue the troubleshooting

of the text issue in a burn to folder/ImgBurn workflow if there is no immediate answer to the burner recognition problem. Do you have iTunes installed on your computer?

If so, has it been updated recently?

We will follow up on this in the morning.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                dd1947 Level 1

For this project I am using the DVD burner.  Also have a new Blu Ray burner and having issues with it ( burns but disc won't play in player or on computer) but will wait until I get these two issues fixed before tackling the Blu Ray.

I cut out the second service on the DVD making the total length 1;21;24;26.

Here is what is displayed with a DVD disc in the tray.  Same for the 2 hour plus version of the project.

Adobe PE13 DVD Burner.JPG

After shortening the project the DVD Menu is still messed up.

For grins, I reopened the prior weeks project.  It was only 1;20;53;23 long.  I burned four DVD's of this project last week.  Now when I open it the Menu title text has the same problem and the DVD burner is not detected.

I did update iTunes this week.

I will now start the process of deleted the perfs file.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Thanks for the reply.

If the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists does not impact

the burner recognition issue, then please uninstall iTunes.

For now just iTunes uninstall. We can decide next if a iTunes plus Premiere Elements uninstall and afterward just a Premiere Elements reinstall.

This iTunes uninstall idea worked for another in a recent thread.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 6. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                    dd1947 Level 1

I am running Win 8.1

I cannot find the prefs file.  I don't have the file address you specify.  I do have this C:\Users\DanD\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\13.0.  But there is no prefs file at this location.

• 7. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Thanks for the reply. You are not on the path that I specified. Please see

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 13.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If necessary, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

You need to open 8.1 64 bit to File Explorer. There go to "My PC" on the right side, Under Devices and Drives, double click "Windows_OS (C:)" to open to C drive folders. Your start target is Users Folder.

Please review and consider and let me know if we are together on the path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

And, you are not going to see the path, if you do not work with Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" enabled. See

Folder Options dialog/View Tab options.  How to: In File Explorer, click on its View Tab to get to the View Tab display which includes "Options" to get

to Folder Options dialog/View Tab/ and the show option we are after.

If needed, I can post screenshots so that you can confirm the path.

ATR

• 8. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                        dd1947 Level 1

Found the Prefs file.  Needed to enable the hidden files.

Here is the steps I have taken.

Closed PE 13

Deleted Prefs file.

Opened project in PE 13

No help with menu or DVD

Closed PE 13

Deleted folder 13.0

Opened project in PE 13

No help with menu or DVD

Uninstalled iTunes

No help

Closed PE 13

Opened project in PE 13

No help

Closed PE 13

Deleted folder 13.0

Opened project in PE 13

No help

Should I now uninstall PE and reinstall?

• 9. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Thanks for follow up on the troubleshooting suggestions.

I think uninstall reinstall would be indicated next. I would use the scheme

1. Uninstall the usual Control Panel way.

2. Do the free ccleaner run through to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

3. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Determine if the problem with the scrambled text is gone.

4. Then download and install the 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                            dd1947 Level 1

Haven't started on the PE uninstall yet but I had a thought to pass on about the menu problem.  It only messes up on info that I have added a <RETURN> or two to make it display as two or three lines.  Is that something the program does not recognize?  On this project I had the title on three lines as shown in my first post.  Two of the scene titles where on multiple lines (one two and one three).  Those two scene buttons were messed up.

• 11. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Thanks for the update.

There should be no problems with doing three lines of text for the title button in the main menu of the Faux Widescreen main menu.

When you open Faux Widescreen movie menu in the Movie Menu customization area, there are 3 buttons in the main menu

Title

Play All

Scene Selection

When you do your 3 lines of text, instead of 1, are you assuring that the title is not overlapping Play All or Scene Selection buttons.

In that case, the burn to might fail, not just give you a finished product with scrabbed Title in main menu.

This is what I have done

1. Click on the Main Menu in the bin below the Movie Menu customization area screen in order to have it displayed on the screen.

2. Double clicked the Title in the Main Menu page to open the Change Text dialog.

3. In the Change Text dialog, typed in your 3 lines of text. After the last character of text, hit the Enter. Tap Spacebar once. Clicked OK

to the Change Text dialog.

4. Made sure that there is enough space (no overlapping of Title, Play All, and Scene Selection buttons.

Please try that before we go for the uninstall reinstall as described previously.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                dd1947 Level 1

I had already uninstalled, ran ccleaner and reinstalled (with firewall and antivirus off) before I saw your most recent post.  I have not updated PE yet.

The DVD still has the same issue "No burners detected".

The buttons do not overlap.

I entered the three lines as you describe above if I understood your directions.  I did the same procedure on the multiple lines in the Scene Menu.

first line <ENTER>

second line <ENTER>

third line <ENTER><SPACE>

Did not fix problem.  Here are the results before and after reopening the project.

Title Menu1.JPGScene Menu1.JPG

Title Menu2.JPGScene Menu2.JPG

• 13. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                  dd1947 Level 1

Can I reinstall iTunes since it did not seem to help or should I wait until we resolve this issue?

• 14. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Thanks for the update.

Please leave uninstalled for now and do the Premiere Elements

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                      dd1947 Level 1

Maybe you missed my post prior to asking about iTunes.  I have already uninstalled PE, did the ccleaner and reinstalled.

• 16. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

I missed the part about you having done the uninstall/free ccleaner/reinstall and the menu problem still existed.

Hold on all troubleshooting for the moment. Break through. I have just been able to reproduce your problem.

Now that I have the problem I will seek a fix first hand.

ATR

• 17. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Although I have reproduced your scrambled 3 lines of text, I have yet to find its cause. I have narrowed factors down

1. The scrambled text exists if you create at least 2 or 3 lines of text in the Change text dialog in the Movie Menu customization area of the opened project.

This happens whether you use Faux Widescreen or Aquarium Movie Menu themes. If you do the same thing in version 12/12.1, the scrambled text

look does not happen after the save close reopen of a project with its main menu title having 3 lines of text for the Faux Widescreen title.

2. I went into the .psd files for the Faux Widescreen theme and changed the editable text layer so that instead of "Movie Title Here" it read

First Baptist Church

Millersville

Feb 02 2015.

When the edited theme was used within the program, there was no problem maintaining the 3 lines of text in the main menu after the save close

reopen of the project.

3. My tentative conclusion is that the core of the problem resides in the Change Text dialog. I am only guessing and wondering if the 13.1 Update

has something to do with this issue that exists in 13/13.1 and not in 12/12.1. The 13.1 Update has a feature which displays font next to the font name.

To rule this possible cause in or out, I am going to uninstall Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to regain just 13 and then determine if the problem still exists.

I will not do this if you have already tried this, that is, looking at the problem in Premiere Elements 13 without the update.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                            dd1947 Level 1

I made the last menu changes in PE 13.0.  I have not updated to 13.1 yet.

• 19. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Thanks for reply 18 and the 13.0 information. I went ahead and uninstalled 13/13.1, and I am in the process of the reinstall to get just 13.

So, that idea does not seem to be going anywhere in view of reply 18 details. But, I will take a look a 1, 2, 3 lines of text in the movie menu main menu title in 13 since I have gone this far uninstall/reinstall.

Right now it does not look too promising for more than 1 line of text in that main menu title of 13/13.1 irregardless of the theme, unless you want to go into the theme's main menu .psd to edit the theme's main menu theme at that level. You will need Photoshop CS or higher for that type of editing where you need to open the Title layer set in the Layers Palette of the .psd file.

I have a few more things I want to try with the Change Text dialog in the Movie Menu customization of the opened project.

ATR

• 20. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Update.

I have tried a variety of remedies to avoid the distorted text the results from trying to apply 3 lines of text to the main menu title in the Movie Menu customization area of

Premiere Elements 13 and also 13.1.

I tried typing the text in Notepad, copying it, and pasting it in the Change Text dialog. Did not resolve the issue. Did many other maneuvers as well.

As of now, the most productive way  that I found to get a disc menu with three lines of text in the main menu title of any 13/13.1  Movie Menu theme

Save the Movie Menu customization until the end of the workflow, do not save close the project, and go directly to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc.

ATR

• 21. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                  dd1947 Level 1

Thanks for all your help.

You mentioned the menu can be customized using Photoshop CS.  Will PSE 13 work for this purpose.  I have found previous threads of yours describing a process using PSE,

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: One Page 14 Scene Buttons DVD Menu and Premiere Elements DVD Template Creation - Elements Village .  Can I add three lines to the title using these instructions.  I thought that maybe I could change the template to the below then edit the "Date" line in the text editor in PE13.

First Baptist Church

Millersville

Date

If that works, hopefully I can do the same with the Scene menu template.

Too bad Adobe doesn't have the ability to make simple custom changes to  their menus.  If the above doesn't work, guess I will have to go back to using ROXIO for DVD authoring.  That's extra steps I was hoping to avoid.

Thanks again for you help with this issue.

• 22. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Referring to your post 21....

The prime concern is the psd editor's ability to open Layer Sets in the Layers Palette of the Movie Menu's .psd file. Photoshop CS or higher can do that. Photoshop Elements

used to be able to do that consistently for .psd files of the Adobe Movie Menu but not so in recent times. This morning I tried that with Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 and was able

to open the Layer Sets of the Slideshow/Pan and Zoom theme. So, worth a try. But, this was a rare happening for Photoshop Elements in recent times.

Once you have edited the title of your menu at the .psd level so that it reads your specific 3 lines of text as the default, there is the matter of editing the date in the 3rd line of that text in

the Movie Menu customization of the project.

Using the edited .psd file, I have been able to get the task done and burn to DVD disc with the 3 lines of text as wanted - including the date change in Change Text dialog. But, I did not save close the project and then reopen the project for the burn to disc. I just made the title's date change in Movie Menu customization area (Change Text dialog) and headed directly to burn to disc DVD.

But, if I saved closed the project and then reopened the project for the burn to disc, the end product had the 3 lines of text "scrambled" into one line.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 23. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                      dd1947 Level 1

Thanks for all the info.  I really appreciate you working with me on this issue.  Sounds like I don't need to spend time learning the process of editing the .psd file.

• 24. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

dd1947

Right now I think the key to getting the 3 lines as wanted is going to be setting your own main menu Title in Change Text in the Movie Customization area and then doing the burn to immediately afterward. The save close and then the reopening of the project for the burn to disc seems to be the downfall for maintaining the 3 lines of text in the title of the main menu title of the disc menu theme.

I will check further to determine to what extent this situation exists in versions earlier than 13/13.1. I have not seen this in Premiere Elements 12/12.1. And, I have yet to look for it in other versions earlier than 13/13.1.

Reflecting...in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, that version had the unique case of replacement backgrounds for the menus not presenting in the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

The fix for that turned out to be adding audio to the menu in the disc menu customization area. I did not work for 13/13.1 main menu title and its unique 3 lines of text matter.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                          CCPLoughrigg

Thank you A.T. for explaining this built-in glitch, and how to work around it. SO helpful. Do you think there is any chance it will be sorted by Adobe? Thanks again.

• 26. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

CCLoughrigg

This is not Adobe, rather user to user. And, I as user do not have any insider information on Adobe plans.

You might consider filing one of those Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Forms.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I suspect that the numbers of those forms with the same glitch would draw Adobe's attention to the glitch. But, after that, it is guess work that could go either way.

We will keep watch for any developments in this matter and report additional information as it becomes available.

Best wishes

ATR

• 27. Re: DVD menu scrambled when reopen project
                                                              ron_s

I encountered this a long time ago, and again today and it was hard finding the answer.  I think this is it: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/menu-markers.html  It states in this link that

"Text in this box doesn’t wrap, so to place the name on multiple lines, press Ctrl+Enter for each new line".  So don't use the ENTER key on your keyboard for multiple lines of text.