4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 11:21 AM by Peter Spier

How to find old print presets

lazystuff Level 1

Hello, Due to a problem with Indesign CC 2014 (latest version) I deleted all the preferences on start up (by holding down 4 keys).

However, my print presets have disappeared – I'm not sure where they're kept in order to replace them. Any ideas?

My other thought was to open older version of Indesign CS6 and CS5 – but they no longer appear to be there either.

I was hoping to enter time machine and reinstate them – what is the file called – and where is it actually located please....

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to find old print presets
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unless you backed them up from the Define dialog, they're gone. ID stores them in the InDesign Defaults file that is part of the prefs you replaced.

• 2. Re: How to find old print presets
            lazystuff Level 1

So to clarify – you're saying indesign stores defaults for all versions of Indesign in the same place?

• 3. Re: How to find old print presets
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was hoping to enter time machine and reinstate them

If Time Machine was backing up your user folder you should be able to go back and get the ID prefs you trashed, reinstall them, save the print presets, and then trash the prefs again.

So get this folder from the backup:

Disk▸ Users ▸ userfolder ▸ Library ▸ Preferences ▸ Adobe InDesign ▸ Version 10.0

Quit InDesign and replace the new Version 10.0 folder that was created when you reset the prefs with the backup and restart ID. Assuming your problem didn't prevent ID from launching, you should now be able to save a copy of your presets via File>Print Presets>Define... selecting all of the presets in the list and clicking the Save button.

• 4. Re: How to find old print presets
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

So to clarify – you're saying indesign stores defaults for all versions of Indesign in the same place?

No. Each version saves its own defaults. There are two files that contain default information, InDesign Defaults and InDesing SavedData which are replaced when you use the keyboard method, and InDesign Defaults is where ID stores document and printer presets, along with your customized preference settings (and probably other information as well, but I've never seen any documentation). The Open Recent list is in the InDesign SavedData file with other unknown info.

Read about backing up and manually replacing the prefs at Replace Your Preferences