2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 9:58 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

How to create an interactive checkbox within InDesign *only*

Sturm359 Level 1

This is a bit of an odd question. Most people want to create form features in InDesign so that when they export it to a PDF and distribute it, they can gather information from their users based upon their answers to the form. And, of course, the form could include text fields, buttons, checkboxes, radio buttons, etc. My situation is just the opposite: I want the interactive form elements (just a set of checkboxes, in my case) to be "clickable" in InDesign, but not interactive anymore when exported to a PDF. Any ideas?

Searching online only brings up tutorials and information on how to make an interactive PDF form. Our situation is different. We need an easy way to check some checkboxes on a page in an InDesign file, because it's for in-house use only (and we all use InDesign CC 2014), but when we export it to a PDF to send to our customers, we need it to be "flattened" so that those elements are visible, but no longer interactive. I hope this makes sense, even if it is an unusual request. Can anyone please help?

• 1. Re: How to create an interactive checkbox within InDesign *only*
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I fear you should probably start considering other ways to accomplish your objectives related to this. InDesign's native format simply isn't geared to deploy and facilitate interactivity the way you describe. I suspect a custom-scripted solution is possible, but the author would need thorough knowledge of your intended workflow.

• 2. Re: How to create an interactive checkbox within InDesign *only*
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

This method will work, but the clickable part isn't the greatest. Create your form as usual, using interactive checkbox buttons on the Indesign page. When interacting with finished document, the user will need to change appearance of the checkbox through the Button and Forms panel. To have checkbox appear "checked" put appearance as "Normal On". To have checkbox appear "unchecked" put appearance as "Normal Off". When you export to PDF, use a PDF print setting. And select Interactive Elements: Include Appearance. This will display the state/appearance of the checkbox, but can not be changed in Acrobat because it is not interactive.