4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 11:38 AM by jasonh44207044

I am trying to edit footage in PE12 from 2 different cameras and the output looks terrible

jasonh44207044

I am trying to edit footage in PE12 from 2 different cameras. One is a canon HD video camera taking AVCHD at 1440x1080 at 29fps. I am also using a canon 70D DSLR taking a MOV at 1920x 1080 at 29FPS

I want to make a 2 camera angle video. When i import both videos into PE12 and edit them together (i am dropping in footage and editing them back to back on video/audio 1) and start rendering, the output video is horrible. there are no straight lines and its blurry. the source video looks great...I am wondering if the difference in size of the 2 videos are messing up the project. is there anything i could do to make the final video look better?

I am very new at using this program and any information would be helpful...

thanks in advance,

jason

• 1. Re: I am trying to edit footage in PE12 from 2 different cameras and the output looks terrible
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jason

Please start with you (manually) setting the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, change the project preset to the above. OK out of there.

In the new project dialog that will appear next, make sure that you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project, and name the project. OK out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace of the project, import your source files, using Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. From Project Assets drag you source files to the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1 or where applicable.

Under these conditions the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 when first dragged to the Timeline will need to be Timeline rendered to get its best possible preview.

Remember that both video formats will give you the 1920 x 1080 display. Also, note that after each edit of the files, the program will notify you that Timeline rendering is needed to get the best possible preview. You do not have to do this type of rendering, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. And, when you go to export the Timeline, select a 1920 x 1080p30 export choice.

What does that all look like?

We will be watching for your results and then deciding what is indicated for next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I am trying to edit footage in PE12 from 2 different cameras and the output looks terrible
            jasonh44207044 Level 1

I tried this solution and it seemed like it helped at first but when the final project was done, it looked bad again.

i think were on the right track though. i think the above solution is right but maybe the pixel ratios dont match on the source footage.

The source footage for the dslr has a pixel ratio of 1.0  and the hdcam is 1.333.

would that skew the footage when it tries to match them?

• 3. Re: I am trying to edit footage in PE12 from 2 different cameras and the output looks terrible
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jason

Both 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 (pixel aspect ratio = 1.33) and 1920 x 1080 16:9 (pixel aspect ratio = 1.0) have the same

display, that is, 1920 x 1080. Whether you use a project preset for either, the space established by the project preset in the Edit area

monitor is 1920 x 1080 for editing. So, we achieve the goal of a 1920 x 1080 Edit area monitor space in selecting the project preset cited

above, that is

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

On the export side of things, it has long been suggested that 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic content be exported with preset for 1920 x 1080 16:9

instead of 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 since both give the same display (1920 x 1080) and the choice 1920 x 1080 16:9 avoids the use of

a format that depends on a 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 for display after encoding. The latter has implications regarding issue of the player and recognition

of the 16:9 flag.

So, we should be OK on the import and export choices.

What about what happens between import and export. You wrote

I tried this solution and it seemed like it helped at first but when the final project was done, it looked bad again.

How did the final product look bad....was it the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:8, the 1920 x 1080 16:9, or both that presented poorly in the export

which I am assuming was Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30?

Depending on your further details, I have some suggestions for the Timeline content prior to export to file.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I am trying to edit footage in PE12 from 2 different cameras and the output looks terrible
                jasonh44207044 Level 1

I  followed the above instructions and did a couple edits to test with transitions and a couple titles.

the rendered product looks choppy, blurry and has jaged lines in full screen but when i published/shared it to file with the above presets, the video looks good when played in media player or vlc at 1920x1080.

I am not sure why the full screen rendered preview looks so bad in PE12 but the final product looks clean when played on another player so I am happy with the results.

thank you for the help. it all makes sense now and it seems pretty simple after doing it over and over..

this is great for our records as well as for archival reasons.

so, what i have to do with it now...

what i have to do with the finished product is save it in 720x480 so i can broadcast it to the local tv station. it also sits on a server for people to watch it online  (unfortunately, no resolutions higher than 720x480 are supported on the server). 

are there any tips to make this look decent at that resolution coming down from the higher resolution?

i tried to just export/publish it to the lower resolution and its pretty bad... theres gotta be a way to make it look at least decent.

TIA,

jh