6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 5:16 PM by steveb31135325

How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?

steveb31135325

I keep all my projects on a different drive than the default My Documents folder. How can I change the default setting so that Premiere Elements does not try to create new projects in the My Documents\Pemiere Elements\13.0 folder? In fact, I do not want that folder to be used for anything (including layouts and styles).

• 1. Re: How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?
          whsprague Level 4

File > New > Project and you get a screen where you can place the project:

Capture.JPG

• 2. Re: How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?
            steveb31135325 Level 1

Thanks for the response. What you show needs to e done at the very start, before you even begin working on a project. I will often do some quick editing which I do not want to save. When you first open Premiere Elements and immediately start working, a temporary project called "My new video project1" will be created in the My Documents folder. All kinds of content gets added there when you start rendering scenes, etc. All of this happens before you save the project for the first time. What's worse, if you do decide to save the project to another location, all the rendered preview files are not moved to that new location and continue cluttering up the My Documents folder. There should be a way to set where these temporary projects are created to keep them out of the My Documents folder!

• 3. Re: How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

steveb

Short version....

Referring to the 13.0 Folder in the Adobe Folder in documents, you wrote

In fact, I do not want that folder to be used for anything (including layouts and styles). 

I do not believe that is possible.

For my best case scenario

• Set the Scratch disks, not to Same As Project, but set for Custom with the set being the save location that you set for the project file.
              • Set the project save in, my preference, File Menu/Save As.

You are going to end up automatically with a 13.0 Folder in the Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0 Folder every time you open a Premiere Elements project. No matter how many times you try to delete the 13.0 Folder. And that 13.0 Folder will contain a Layout Folder and, if you applied a Style in the project, a Styles Folder.

Longer Version....

There is no problem directing your project file to the save location of choice. You can do that two way

1. After you open the project to the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/Save As to change the name of the project as well as the location for the save in order to avoid the defaults.

2. You can also do that through File Menu/New/Project.

That 13.0 Folder also gains its contents from the settings of the scratch discs in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disc - some examples preview files, disc encoding files, conformed audio files... Some Files/Folders are placed there automatically. So what to do to keep the Documents area clear of Premiere Elements files, project or otherwise after you have move all that you thought you could to a non Adobe default location? See above best case scenario.

Miscellaneous

1. If you set the save location of the project in either of the 2 ways, that setting will not hold from project to project. It will hold for that particular project.

3. If you set the Scratch disks in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, those settings seem to hold from project to project as well as for in the particular project.

Stevenb, please review and consider and verify. I have gone through several scenarios on what you would prefer. But, I do not see a way to make that happen with the programming that exists.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

steveb

I did not see your post 2, until I posted by post 3.

Looking forward to your reply. I suspect that using Custom set for Scratch Disk rather than Same As Project will eliminate the

media cache issue that you reported.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?
                  whsprague Level 4

Maybe there should be a way to do it that you would like better.  However, there is a way to control where everything is stored.  I left off part B!  As soon as you start the project as in the screen I posted above there is one more step.

Before you add any media to your project you go to Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks and you get a screen with a bunch of choices.  I think it is left over from the days were the ideal thing to do was to spread computer activity over several fast HDDs.  But, it remains.  Select "Same as Project" to match where you've put your New Project.  Nothing will show up in your documents folder.

The "Same as Project" setting will be remembered for new project to the next new project.  Except there is an anomoly with Media Cache.  It does not want to remember "Same as Project".  It will remember "Custom" and you can create a dedicated folder for that wherever you want.  Or, you can reset it to "Same as Project" as your first step before adding any media.

Good luck making Premier Elements do things your way.  Sometimes it may seem like it has its own mind!

• 6. Re: How to change the default new project folder in Premiere Elements 13?
                    steveb31135325 Level 1

Nothing riles me up as much as software which thinks it knows best how things should be done. I wouldn't mind starting in the Documents folder/library if only Premiere Elements did a better job of cleaning up after itself...

I moved all the Scratch disks and everything else I could move in the PE settings right after installation. Still, it insists on using the Documents folder for some things. I like the software, so I guess I'll just have to learn to live with its quirks and foibles.