6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 9:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Video exceeds length limit

victorg29582433

I'm using Premiere Elements 12 on a PC that runs Windows 7. I have a 22 minute video that I want to upload to You Tube. When I use the Publish + Share feature, it tells me that y video exceeds the allowable length of 15 minutes. I've seen this question on the forum before, and I've looked the answers, but they don't make sense to me. It really seems like it shouldn't be this hard. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Video exceeds length limit
          whsprague Level 4

For awhile, YouTube had a 15 minute length limit.  Not knowing it would change, Adobe programmers made Premier Elements match.  A lot has changed at YouTube since version 12 came out, including length limits and required file settings.  The work around is to export your video to a computer file on your HDD and then use the YouTube video uploader.  Depending on your source, you may be able to upload higher quality footage by doing the work around.

Good luck!

Bill

• 2. Re: Video exceeds length limit
            A.T. Romano Level 7

victorg

The Premiere Elements built in YouTube does not work if the file size/duration of the Timeline exceeds the limits for the Premiere Elements that you have. If you have 12/12.1, the limit is 2 GB/15 minutes and over that you cannot use the feature there.  If you have a special extended time account obtained from YouTube you cannot use that in the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature.

You can export your Premiere Elements Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive. Then from the computer hard drive, you upload your file to YouTube at the YouTube web site using one of YouTube's extended time accounts.

Please let us know if you are OK with that description. I will clarify whatever you still do not understand about the process.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Video exceeds length limit
              victorg29582433 Level 1

Thank you so much for the responses. I actually tried this. The problem I ran into was that the exported file was a "premiere" file -- with a .prel extension. When I tried to upload it to You Tube, it didn't recognize it. And I couldn't figure out how to save it as another file type that You Tube would recognize -- .mov or any number of others.

• 4. Re: Video exceeds length limit
                A.T. Romano Level 7

victorg

Thanks for the additional information. Are you OK now with the details for exporting your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive  for upload from there to

YouTube at the YouTube web site?

Just in case mention, we can fine tune this if necessary,

1. I would look to an AVCHD.mp4 file for the export to file.

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = to one which is consistent with your project settings.

2. Take a look at Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD (represents 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second) for starters. We can also look at

Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

If you want to fine tune the information, please let us know your Timeline video properties, project settings.

Please let us know your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you and best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Video exceeds length limit
                  victorg29582433 Level 1

Yes! Wow -- it took a long time to save the file in a different format and then to upload it to You Tube. BUT, it worked! Thank you so much! I wrote down the preset so I will remember how to do this in the future. Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Video exceeds length limit
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

victorg

Thanks for sharing your great news of successful YouTube upload. Great job.

If you have further questions on this or other Premiere Elements workflows, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR