7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 9:28 PM by A.T. Romano

what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?

jacquii19866701

I've wasted over 6 DVD's trying to figure this out and it's doing my head in! There's lines through my video on the "ntsc dolby widsescreen" preset for buring straight onto DVD, and the PAL widescreen is all jumpy.. they are the only settings!?! What setting would I use to save it on my computer in good format to the burn onto disc using adobe encore?

• 1. Re: what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jacquii

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of your source media on the Timeline, including whether 4:3 or 16:9? What have you or the

project set as the project preset to match the properties of the source media. You do not want a 4:3 project going to a

16:9 end product and vice versa. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size,

and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the fields look grayed out.

If you have a 16:9 project and want to produce a PAL DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, then Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with

Presets = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby Digital. If you have a 4:3 project and want to produce PAL DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, then

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with Presets = PAL_Dolby_DVD.

If you want to produce a file as an intermediary, then consider Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = PAL DVD Standard or PAL DVD Widescreen

whichever is consistent with your project settings.

If you have a Blu-ray player and are interested in the higher resolution product on DVD disc, the see Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc. We can talk about

that next. But for this, you need Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi media players that support AVCHD DVD.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?
            jacquii19866701 Level 1

I'm using adobe elements 13, just got it so have no idea what I am doing, but I just want to make basic slideshows with music for my wedding photos for clients..
            my computer is 64bit windows 7... (I'm sorry I'm not all in on video lingo, give me photography lingo anydday!)
            How do you find out what the properties of my timeline is? I have no idea, and how do i set it to 4:3 16:9 for example..

editing mode is HD 1080i (greyed out)
            timebase is 29.97frames/s (greyed out)

frame size is 1920 by 1080

square pixels (1.0) for pixel ratio (greyed out)

this does not add up to what you described

• 3. Re: what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jacquii

Thanks for the reply.

Bottom line:

Please give me the best description you can for what is going into the slideshow and how you want to output it - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc,

AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Details

1. If you have done no more than import the source files and drag them to the Expert workspace or Quick workspace, then the project

has set its default project settings 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. For now, focus on 1920 x 1080 which is 16:9. It is hard to tell

if it has done it right or wrong without having a description for your originals.

2. Next question, what are you dragging into the Timeline...if video and you do not know its properties such as video and audio compression, frame size, frame

rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, then the easiest way to communicate this information might be to let us know the

brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video, and we can try to figure it out from that information.

3. If your content is photos...then what are the pixel dimension of the photos - 3:2 (which is typically a print aspect ratio) or 4:3 or 16:9 (which are the

typical video aspect ratios). Depending on how many, pixel dimensions, computer resources, you are likely to get away without having to resize them before

importing them into Premiere Elements. Also do not use the CMYK color profile on your edited photos. CMYK is not supported by Premiere Elements.

4. How are you going to export your Premiere Elements Timeline

a. DVD-VIDEO in DVD disc

b. AVCHD on DVD disc

or

c. Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

Keep in mind that the higher resolution product on DVD disc (AVCHD DVD) will need a Blu-ray player with AVCHD DVD support. AVCHD DVD does

not play back on a regular DVD player.

I will stop here for the moment to let you review the above and decide if you are OK with the this introductory information or whether I have to present

it in another way.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?
                jacquii19866701 Level 1

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is what I want to do, ultimately, I want to just burn it through the program, as I only have nero and encore is technical.

I started a new project, and just dragged everything into the timeline, I didn't render or touch any settings, and I added my music files also without touching any settings.

All images

• 5. Re: what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jacquii

I could give you all sorts of details on how to get the best possible DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, but let us see how far we can get

without taking in consideration all the dos and do nots.

1. You opened a new project...what workspace did you go into...for now I will assume the Quick workspace. Whether Expert workspace

or Quick workspace, you have imported your source file to the Expert workspace Timeline tracks or the Quick workspace Filmstrip spaces.

We have let the project make the project setting decisions and have assumed it has done it correctly.

2. Because of that, you are probably ending up with the default project setting which is giving you a 16:9 project 1920 x 1080.

3. Let us see what that is going to look like when we burn the Timeline or Filmstrip content to NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

which is 720 x 480 with a 16:9 flag that stretches the video for display after encoding...I believe to about 856 x 480.

4. If you want to add disc menus, after Edit, go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu, select and customize the disc menu.

5. With or without 4, go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and set the preset to NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital.

Play that back on a computer player as well as a TV DVD player and see what that looks like. Remember, DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 min

is in reality 4.38 GB. For best results try not to go too much over 90 minutes on the disc.

Depending on the results we can

a. Insist on strict how to details, detail by detail to get the best possible DVD-VIDEO end product

and/or

b. Discuss creating the higher resolution AVCHD DVD product which needs the Blu-ray player with AVCHD DVD support.

Looking forward to your results. I have assumed that you are in the United States and have used NTSC setup numbers.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 7. Re: what quality should I burn my project to for a HD tv using DVD?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jacquii

Thanks for the update. Let us go details.

Please work in the Expert workspace of the project.

1. What are the pixel dimension of your photos and how many? What is the total duration of your Timeline?

Does it matter if you produce a 4:3 or 16:9 (widescreen) product for TV viewing?

2. If you can post a jpg freeze frame of your video lines, that would be help but not essential.

The specified item was not found.

The above will be enough for me to give you settings to get through the initial part of the project settings and

decide on the burn to details (4:3 or 16:9, NTSC vs PAL if you outside the USA).

It is late where I am so I will look into this further in the early morning hours.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR