1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 4:16 AM by Migintosh

DOCUMENT SET UP FOR LIGHTNING SOURCE POD BOOKS

michel1973

Hi All,

I am trying to set up my very first title with Lightning source for POD books. However I am confused on the bleed requirements and gutter they asked for and cannot set them up confidently.

Their requirement are as follows

• A file with bleed should be submitted with the required 0.125" (3mm) added to the three trim edges (top, bottom, outside).

Please do not add bleed to the bind (gutter) edge as this will cause incorrect positioning .

• 0.125" (3 mm) gutter margin (no-ink area) required on the bind side of the interior. These are bound with glue, and the area is designated so it can adhere to all pages.

My Indesign set is as follows as the book is 216mmX216mm. Do I need to adjust the "page size" section or "the bleed and slug" or both.

Thanking you kindly.

• 1. Re: DOCUMENT SET UP FOR LIGHTNING SOURCE POD BOOKS
          Migintosh Level 4

Your document setup will look like this:

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 4.02.55 AM.png

…with the number of pages to be determined by you. Here's how the pages (first page, internal spreads and last page) will look:

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 4.05.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 4.02.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 4.05.15 AM.png

When you have something that you want to bleed off of the top, bottom or outside edge, just make sure that it extends into the red area. That will allow it to bleed to the edge once the edge is trimmed to the document size. Notice that the red bleed area doesn't extend to the left of the first page or the right of the last. You don't want to bleed to these non-red areas because even though these pages are represented on this reader-spread document as single pages, they will need to be built into a spread with other pages once the design is completed and production is ready. The building of printer's spreads from reader's spreads is something the production people will do, so you don't have to worry about it.

As far as the slug goes, here's the last page with a one-inch slug, which you may or may not need:

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 4.13.29 AM.png

Also, if you place guides on your master pages at 3mm on either side of the center line, you can use that to keep your copy out of the glue area.