12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 9:42 PM by Geoff the kiwi

File Naming

robertd800

If I select  Rename File> custom name-Sequence. LR% sends the file to some odd places but not to the folder I designate it to go to. This only happens if I select: Custom name- original file number. Never happened before. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: File Naming
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure what you are saying. When renaming are you mean on import??

• 2. Re: File Naming
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In what context are you doing this. Is this during importing or exporting?

Personally I never change the name of an image unless I have sent it to Photoshop, -Edit is added, or I am exporting it to a JPG (I shoot raw) and then only if there is already a JPG of the same name. Then LR adds a 1, 2 or 3 to the file name.

The location, folder and drive, images are placed during importing, if you have Copy or Move selected in the import dialog window, and the location exported images are place is totally User Defined. Somewhere, somehow, you have selected the folder/drive these image are being placed.

Need more info on what exactly you are doing and the steps taken.

• 3. Re: File Naming
              robertd800 Level 1

Exporting photos from LR to file.

• 4. Re: File Naming

robertd800 wrote:

And in the Export dialog window there is a section to define, select, where those exported images are stored. Right at the top of the Export dialog windows in the Export Location area.

Please post a screen shot of the export dialog window that has your current settings.

• 5. Re: File Naming

Robert Young wrote:

Thanks but which renaming template are you meaning? Custom name-sequence or custom name-original file number??

• 6. Re: File Naming
                    robertd800 Level 1

Ok I shoot Raw, I then edit in LR5 for the most part.

I then export to JPeg to send on to friends relatives or just to my desk top.

It is export that when I select Custom file- Sequence that the file sets sent to a different location that specified by me.

I have uploaded some wildlife shots> I edit in LR5 > I decide to save to a file marked Jpeg wildlife on my desktop> select Custom name-sequence > first file bird No1 sent to file> next file which now should save as bird No2 does not go to desktop file. It goes to a LR file not the one it started life in which is named as upload date.

• 7. Re: File Naming

robertd800 wrote:

Ok I shoot Raw, I then edit in LR5 for the most part.

I then export to JPeg to send on to friends relatives or just to my desk top.

It is export that when I select Custom file- Sequence that the file sets sent to a different location that specified by me.

I have uploaded some wildlife shots> I edit in LR5 > I decide to save to a file marked Jpeg wildlife on my desktop> select Custom name-sequence > first file bird No1 sent to file> next file which now should save as bird No2 does not go to desktop file. It goes to a LR file not the one it started life in which is named as upload date.

Are you selecting both of these images at the same time and exporting or one file then the other. Please post some screen shots of the export dialog window.

• 8. Re: File Naming
                        robertd800 Level 1

Who said two images.

Ok keep it simple

File naming in export dialog box:

Rename to:

Custom Name-Sequence.

It does not work, ie it will name one photo and number it No1, if I select a second picture to place in the same file it should auto number (ie No2)  but LR fails to do this, instead it places the photo back in a different location in light room.

I don't know why, it has not done this before.

• 9. Re: File Naming

robertd800 wrote:

Who said two images.

Ok keep it simple

File naming in export dialog box:

Rename to:

Custom Name-Sequence.

It does not work, ie it will name one photo and number it No1, if I select a second picture to place in the same file it should auto number (ie No2)  but LR fails to do this, instead it places the photo back in a different location in light room.

I don't know why, it has not done this before.

You did.

first file bird No1 sent to file> next file

Sorry but I don't understand what you are doing.

If you are exporting the same image multiple times you should be presented with this dialog window.

LR Export same file to same folder.PNG

Then select the "Use Unique Names" button and you will get the same file numbering, with the -1 after the file number with an extra - and number after that.

I've export the same image 3 time. First image has FileName-1 second time I exported the same file I got the same file name with the -1 then another - and the number 2 after that. Third time I got same as above except with -3 after FileName-1 -3.JPG.

The only time you get consecutive numbering is if you export multiple files at the same time.

Also all of them where placed in the same folder as the originals as that is what I have selected in the Export dialog.

• 10. Re: File Naming

Bottom line. If you want to export different image files with the same file name, Bird, and have consecutive numbering following that name you have to select all those image before you click the export button.

• 11. Re: File Naming
                              robertd800 Level 1

Thank you guys, I think it must be my explanation because the point of the error is being overlooked.

Its an error in export not a multiple export or any other type of event.

I will look elsewhere for a explanation to the problem.

• 12. Re: File Naming

Robert Young wrote:

Thank you guys, I think it must be my explanation because the point of the error is being overlooked.

Its an error in export not a multiple export or any other type of event.

I will look elsewhere for a explanation to the problem.

Robert... before you run off to look elsewhere and situation.

I asked what you are doing? So please tell me how you are exporting to "file"?? A file can only be exported to a container or folder.

Can you just start again and explain with screen shots what you are doing and the results. (The two different exports)

Also which exact OS and Lightroom version are you using???

Thanks... you will get sorted out!!