8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 4:59 PM by SteveH59

Combining slideshow with movie clip?

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have about 20 good quality photos and a one-hour movie clip that I would like to combine. The final product will go on a DVD. All the photos will appear before the movie, which is a 25 fps PAL standard. I think that means the frame size is 720x576. The photos are a little more awkward because while most are landscape in orientation, a few are portrait.

Would it be best to create a slideshow for the photos in Elements Organiser, followed by the video clip, or would it be best to import each photo along the Pre Elements Timeline to be followed by the video clip? Can a slideshow created in Organiser be imported into the PrE Timeline? It is important that the transition from one to the other is seamless, and it is essential that I can have a soundtrack to accompany the photos.

Finally, if I may, given the frame size of the video, what size should the photos be? The originals are quite large at the moment.

Thanks for any advise which I will follow closely.

Steve

• 1. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I would make this a Premiere Elements workflow only - no Elements Organizer slideshow involvement...

Premiere Elements Expert workspace

Project Preset = PAL DV Standard

In the Expert workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General, have a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

I would like to know the pixel dimensions and the aspect ratio (3:2, 4:3; or 16:9) of those 20 photos, but, for now,

leave them as is and import them into the project.

Then import your hour long video which you say is PAL DV Standard.

What does that all look like when you render the Timeline content (which should be just the photos at that time) and play

it back in the Edit area monitor?

Then to end product - Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with Presets = PAL_Dolby DVD.

What is the verdict. Good or needs work?

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 2. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

It looks fine in PrE11 after rendering the photos only. There are two bars - above and below the images - which I may have to try and resolve. It appears like a normal slideshow.

When you say 'have a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size' does that save me from having to resize the photos?

PrE tells me it has burned to the DVD but it hasn't - the disk (DVD-RW) is still empty, so if I saved the project as PAL DVD Standard (MPEG), saved it to my desktop, then used something like the ImgBurn software, that should be OK, shouldn't it?

• 3. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

You say that your source is PAL standard @ 25 frames per second.

If the project preset is set to PAL NTSC Standard, then you should not have any black borders when you import that file into the

project set with the PAL NTSC Standard project preset.

Because of your black black borders in the monitor display of the import, I suspect that your source is really PAL DV Widescreen and not PAL DV Standard.

So, to correct that, then we start again with the settings, and this time set the project preset for PAL DV Widescreen for the import side of things.

And, then, for the export side of things, use

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

with Presets = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

The "Default Scale to Frame Size" will have the project automatically scaling your import image to the frame size specified by the project preset....

If PAL DV Standard 720 x 576....if PAL DV Widescreen 720 x 576 stretched to about 1050 x 476 by a 16:9 flag, giving the display resolution for PAL DV Widescreen.

about 1050 x 576.

Please check it out, and determine if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
                SteveH59 Level 1

I will try it with a different set of photos and post back.

Thanks again

Steve

• 5. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
                  SteveH59 Level 1

Here is an example of the black frame I am getting with its properties, but as I say, I will try some other photos:

Example.jpg

• 6. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Yes, same as before.

The landscape photos have black borders above and below the image, and the portrait photos have black borders to the left and right.

Is it not just a question of stretching the images out so that they cover the black borders?

Steve

• 7. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Do not go to another project instead explore the following...

Given that you are in a PAL DV Standard project....And, you do have the check mark next to Default Scale to Frame size in preferences...

You import your twenty 4608 x 2592 4:3 photos.

Scale the first one to 102.8%. To do that... Right click the first photo, select Copy.

Then select all the other photos all at one time, right click anywhere in the selection, in the pop up menu select Paste Effects and Adjustments.

What you have is now fine if you want to save the Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

If your destination for that Timeline is PAL DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, leave the photos without the scale adjust, just

your 20 photos, followed by the PAL DV Standard video and burn to disc PAL_Dolby DVD. Are any black borders noticeable?

I think we just went through this type of discussion recently.

Let us see if we are dealing with the same thing.

Back later with a link to the thread that I believe applies also to your situation.

ATR

• 8. Re: Combining slideshow with movie clip?
                        SteveH59 Level 1

I think you have saved the day - again!

All the other images now share the same properties as the first one. That is, the frames have disappeared!

It looks a lot better.

Thank you, ATR.