14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 3:14 AM by Just Shoot Me

Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade

simonl32769613 Level 1

Wow, I have to say I'm quite shocked about how unintuitive and misleading the Adobe website is.. All I want to do is upgrade my current version 3 of Lightroom to latest version 5. I remember this used to be a simple process a couple of years ago but now they are trying to sell me all sorts of subscription models and packages. Not even a simple option to chat with support in case of questions. I just want to upgrade my current version to the latest version and I want to buy the license, not rent it.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Agreed, the Adobe website is being increasingly cumbersome to navigate and I sympathize with anyone trying to buy non-Cloud software. What a mess!

Nevertheless the non-Cloud Lightroom 5 can be purchased here: Products

• 2. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You are right. the place to look is at the bottom of the page, the Products link. That takes you to this page.

Products

then find Lightroom and you can buy the stand alone version as an Upgrade. Make sure you download the stand alone version.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
              Bob Somrak Level 5

Or bypass Adobe's obtuse marketing mess and EASILY buy an upgrade from Amazon, B&H, Adorama etc or Locally at Best Buy etc.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not quite as easy Bob as you just get a voucher code from those outlets and still have to redeem that at Adobe for a serial number.

Robert Somrak wrote:

Or bypass Adobe's obtuse marketing mess and EASILY buy an upgrade from Amazon, B&H, Adorama etc or Locally at Best Buy etc.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

Not quite as easy Bob as you just get a voucher code from those outlets and still have to redeem that at Adobe for a serial number

Geoff,

Does this mean you don't get a serial number in the boxed versions anymore.  If not, than this is an even WORSE marketing mess when trying to buy a standalone Lr.

Adobe has

1  Purposely make it difficult to find the place to buy the standalone on the Adobe site.  (You have to admit Adobe could make it more up front and easier to find)

2  If it true the boxed version makes you redeem a serial, than this is making the buyer jump through more unnecessary hoops than it was before.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade

Bob, you stated buy an upgrade from a, b, c, etc.... Upgrades are not disks but a different license requiring an earlier serial number.

I presume Boxed disks still have serial numbers but they are not upgrade serial numbers.

To your points:

1. CC is by far the biggest seller and the easiest. Yes it maybe that the standalone is harder to find...it is a small product  and percentage in a vast array of products and services. It gets an according space and position. That is my view not Adobe's.

2. I have answered and as far as I know disks have never had upgrade serial numbers. I think you went on a tangent somehow.

Last let's not slag the hand that feeds us...

From the Forum Ettiquette page:

Do

• Respect others.
                    • Assume good faith.

Thanks....

• 7. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

Geoff, thanks for the info and NO disrespect was intended.  My first version was 2. My boxed versions of UPGRADES of vesion 3,4, and 5 (I still have the Lr5 box and just checked) did contain the serial number on the disk sleeve so I was wondering if this had changed. I had purchased the upgrade when Lr5 first came out so maybe Adobe changed the packaging since then.  When version 6 comes out I will be switching to the CC version and retiring my Elements so there will be one less user in the standalone group

• 8. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade

No worries Bob, I guess here in the Antipodes we don't get the Upgrade box luxury then. I would doubt it would be viable now. Where did you purchase the upgrades from?

Disks are so out of date anyway. Gee my MBP doesn't even have a disk drive... Wasn't that long ago my first iMac and it was one pf the very first was considered radical as it only had a disk drive and was without any floppy drive!!! 

Why wait till Lr6 to switch Bob??? You'll have Photoshop right now and Lr6 the minute it comes out..

• 9. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                          Bob Somrak Level 5

Geoff,

I bought ALL my Lr versions from B&H Photo.  For 4 and 5 I didn't even use the DVD but downloaded the newest version from Adobe and installed from there.  When I upgraded my iMac from Mountain Lion to Yosemite a couple weeks ago I did a CLEAN reformat and install and reloaded everything from internet downloads.  I agree that DVD drives are about as useful as floppy drives now.  I would switch now to CC but I don't use Elements much anyway so having Photoshop is not a pressing need.. Lr5  is so good that I can do 98% of my photos in it .  I really only use Elements for Panos and heavy duty cloning and a few other things.  I've used a friends Photoshop CC and really like it so I am looking forward trying it out in depth but spring in nearing in Colorado and Utah so photo time is near and learning Photoshop will have to wait. 

• 10. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Buying the CC Photography Plan would make sense at the point LR 6 is released so you don’t need to pay the LR 6 upgrade fee and just start the CCPP subscription.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

That's my plan Steve so I won't be paying for an upgrade.  I will first see how stable 6.0 is and maybe wait for a dot release but I will be going to CCPP soon.  I am and old Kodachrome shooter and for better or worse still shoot digital with the same care to detail so I have not had a great need for Elements as Lr 5 is so good.  I have convinced several people to abandon/augment Elements with Lr and they have all been happy with the change.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

Bob, you stated buy an upgrade from a, b, c, etc.... Upgrades are not disks but a different license requiring an earlier serial number.

I presume Boxed disks still have serial numbers but they are not upgrade serial numbers.

To your points:

1. CC is by far the biggest seller and the easiest. Yes it maybe that the standalone is harder to find...it is a small product  and percentage in a vast array of products and services. It gets an according space and position. That is my view not Adobe's.

2. I have answered and as far as I know disks have never had upgrade serial numbers. I think you went on a tangent somehow.

Last let's not slag the hand that feeds us...

From the Forum Ettiquette page:

Do

• Respect others.
                                • Assume good faith.

Thanks....

And there your presumption is incorrect. There are boxed full versions and boxed upgrade version. Both come with an appropriate serial number for the type you bought. No voucher and no need to contact Adobe for a serial number. When I installed LR 5 from the disc that came in the box below there was a serial # that when used prompted for another previous version serial number. Because it was an Upgrade serial number. Just like it is written on the box, Upgrade.

LR 5 Upgrade box.JPG

Where is anyone Slagging the hands that feeds us or being offensive to anyone. First off Adobe does not feed me and secondly whether Adobe sells a copy of Lightroom as a full or upgrade or some other Retailer sells it Adobe still makes money on it. Amazon, B&H and other retailers did not get or make the copies of LR they sell without paying Adobe for them.

As it stands you are Way Off Base with that all of that post. So much so I wonder what you have been ingesting.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade
                                  simonl32769613 Level 1

Thank you all for the quick replies! The link provided above finally got me to the right page and I was able to purchase the upgrade. It's very obvious though that Adobe does not want you to buy this and only pushes their subscription models. Sneaky..

• 14. Re: Lightroom 3 to 5 upgrade

Glad you got it sorted out and glad I could help.