4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 5:47 AM by AlBQuirky

codecs for elements 8

AlBQuirky

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 - New Project

I getting a "codec not installed" message for simple .m4a and mp4 files.  I am trying to create a video of gameplay footage (.mp4) and adding a song (.m4a CD file).

I get this message for both files when I attempt to import them into my project.

I have used these files successfully before and this is the first time using Adobe Elements 8.0.1 since re-installing Win 7x64 about a year ago.

I guess there can never be too much information so:

I use nVidia's capture program (Shadowplay) for my footage using the .mp4 codec..

The music I am trying to use is from a (manufactured - store bought physical) Louis Armstrong CD and is the .m4a file.

I did see Adobe suggest removing any "codec programs" and the only one I can think of is called MPC-HCx64.  No difference when it is removed.

I have used Audacity to reformat the audio file into .wav and .mp3 files.  The .wav file is acceptable, but not the .mp3 file.

According to Adobe's site, these files are "supposedly" supported.  Am I missing something?  Any ideas?

- Al

• 1. Re: codecs for elements 8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AlBQuirky

In all cases, please review the copyright situation with regard to your files. For now, I will assume there is not.

For the music, please consider taking the file into iTunes and converting it to the wav version.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

With the .mp4 video...your message does not say what codec - video or audio or both. The "mp4" is just the file extension

(container format) that wraps the video and audio compression). You can download and install the free codec utility GSpot

and look at Video Name Codec Status and Audio Name Status information.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

If your video is recorded with a variable frame rate instead of a constant one, that can introduce other factors into the troubleshooting

equation.

Looking forward to your further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: codecs for elements 8
            AlBQuirky Level 1

Thanks for the quick response!

The exact message for the video file goes as such:

"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

So... the file type or "a" codec is not supported?

I'll look into the GSpot link a little later.  Thanks for that

- Al

• 3. Re: codecs for elements 8
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Thanks for the reply.

We will look forward to learning  of the codec utilities readout for your files.

Typically the.m4a are seen here as iTunes music and problematic and the conversion to the .wav version is the remedy for that. And, iTunes is convenient for that conversion.

I am not sure what happened to your files if you say that they worked for you in your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workflow.

Some added comments

1. If you have some of the old .mp4 files that presented before with no problems, try them again in your present setup where this type

of .mp4 file has problems importing into a project. Mp4 is just a file extension (container format). In these instances, it is important to know

the audio and video compression.

2. If the difference is those recorded with a variable rather than constant frame rate, the results could range from "imported by audio out of sync" to

"not being able to import the file at all". Conversion from variable to constant frame rate in HandBrake has been the answer to that type of problem.

ATR

• 4. Re: codecs for elements 8
                AlBQuirky Level 1

OK...  Finally got around to grabbing G-Spot.  The codecs listed for one of the "wonky" files follows:

Audio Codec:  mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC (info: 48000Hz  192 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0) )

Video Codec: avc1 (Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)

Does that help?  It's all Greek to my eyes

Still unsure about what Elements 8 is not liking...