5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 2:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere EL & Admin privileges

SAngeli Level 1

Hi,
      I have a PC with Windows 7 Pro x64. I have two accounts created:

- User account

- Admin account

I logged in with the Admin account, as I always do when I have to install a new software, and installed Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 11. Performed the updates too and all runs fine.

I logged in with the User account and both Organizer and Photoshop run fine. Anytime I load Premiere EL it asks me for Admin password. This is not fine and it should not be this way.

I tried to google on the Internet but was unable to find a solution.

I do not know if it has to do with file permission and if so do not know where to act.

Can someone please suggest me what to do? I do not wish to grant User Admin privileges having to convert this user in ad Admin user.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Premiere EL & Admin privileges
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SAngeli

Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit

As far as I have ever known and seen written by Adobe, both Premiere Elements and the QuickTime (part of System Requirements) have required they be run with administrator privileges for access to certain files for read write purposes.

Are you involved with more than one person on the same computer or are you involved in a school network or a home network?

If more than one computer, have you looked into workgroup sharing?

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere EL & Admin privileges
            SAngeli Level 1

Hi,

I have one PC with few users. In order to preserve OS integrity and as most of the times it should be done I created two accounts one being the Administrator account and the other for users who do not have the possibility to install or modify PC settings.

Now, I had the request to install a video editing software and decided to use Premiere EL.

In order, this afternoon, to let them use this software I had to create a new account and grant Admin privileges but believe me this is not the correct way to go.

Yes, while reading on the Internet I came across many articles stating that both Premiere EL and Premiere PRO need Admin privileges but I wish to say: it is not correct.

If the software needs specific Admin privileges someone, I do not know who - whether Microsoft or Adobe, must present the possibility to customize admin privileges only for the use of this software and NOT allow having  full Admin privileges for the entire PC. This is very wrong.

I wish to ask if you know a way to fully make Premiere EL work without Admin privileges.

I read this article but did not understand what was that they did to make it work. I asked them to explain what did they do and if indeed it works.

Let's see.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Premiere EL & Admin privileges
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SAngeli

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you want to do and not sure if you can get to "fully make Premiere Elements work without Admin privileges".

As for the article that you referenced

This is my interpretation of it "it worked" post. The originator of the thread seems to be pointing to MPEG2 Activation, related to one of the features

of the program. The suggested fix is to go to a computer that already has MPEG2 Activation, find and copy for the information found

Program Data

Adobe

Common

Adobe

ARA

11.0 (in your specific case)

and in the 11.0 Folder is the file named Repository2_0.db.

And, then paste into the computer without the MPEG2 Activation any information from the above that you need to match the above.

I have not tried this since I run the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and an Internet connections; consequently, MPEG2 activation and other program activations take place automatically behind the scenes with an active Internet connection. But there are other program functions beside MPEG2 activation that may not be covered by this fix.

By the way, when you run into these challenges associated with user accounts without administrative privileges and administrative privileges in general, are you given the opportunity to "Run As Administrative" for that project and that function that trigger the message?

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere EL & Admin privileges
                SAngeli Level 1

Hi Romano,

What I do not understand is where would I paste the "Repository2_0.db" file? Into wichi path?

I know that when I run Premiere EL through a User account (without Admin priv.) as soon as Premiere EL loads I am prompted twice to insert Admin password. Once I type the password twice the software runs fine.

As for a software to run as Administrator I doubt that Premiere EL shortcut has this feature enabled. When I will be back to this PC I will check but am pretty much sure this feature is not checked.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Premiere EL & Admin privileges
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SAngeli

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure that the copy/paste for "Repository2_0..db" is going to help you achieve what you really seek, but as for placement of it.

Check your computer for the folder in folder path

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Common

Adobe

ARA

11.0 (in your specific case)

and in the 11.0 Folder is where the file named Repository2_0.db is going to go.

And, when you get to the ARA Folder's  11.0 Folder and double click the 11.0 Folder, is there a "Repository2_.0.db" file there already?

If not, that is the place to paste the "repository2_0.db" that you have borrowed from Premiere Elements which already has MPEG2 Activation.

That is my understanding of what was written in the other thread that you found.

Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

ATR