5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 4:47 PM by Cari Jansen

What happens if I change computers?

FunkyRamones

I really want to start a membership with the Creative Cloud, although, I am afraid that when I use the download for both my personal PC and Mac that if anything happens to either computer or I decide to sell/trade them, I wont be able to put a new program on the new computer.

What are the terms around this? I feel like it would be so much work if I were to be paying for these programs to jump through hoops every time a computer didn't suite my needs or

crashed on me.

Can anyone help me with some insight, because I really want to invest into this membership.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What happens if I change computers?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can sign in and sign out as often as you like. If a computer is inaccessible, you can contact support to reset your account.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: What happens if I change computers?
            Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

A little extra information:

If you ever install and try to sign-in Creative Cloud on a third computer, you'll be given a warning when you try to sign-in on that computer, because two activations have already been registered:

• Either to sign-out of one of your other devices (computers) - You can do this from the Creative Cloud Desktop application that's available in the Taskbar (Win) and Menubar (Mac), click the gear-icon in top-right and choose Preferences, then click Account and Sign-Out.
            • Or choose the second option, which will deactivate Creative Cloud on all other devices (this means that if you were to use one of those devices again, you'd need to Sign-In again).

If you ever plan on getting rid of a computer, or getting a new one, the best thing to do is Sign-Out of Creative Cloud on the old computer AND uninstall it. Then you can sign-in on your new computer without any issues hopefully .

Cheers,

Cari

• 3. Re: What happens if I change computers?
              FunkyRamones Level 1

Thanks Cari,

So, one more thing, what if I am borrowing a friends computer that has a little bit more processing power than mine. If I download the program on that PC and after the project is finished and I want to return the program to my PC it's as easy as uninstalling it from that hard drive and signing out?

How does adobe tell if you can still access programs while offline? I feel as if people could just turn their internet off and keep programs?

Trying to wrap my head around all of this, your support is greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: What happens if I change computers?
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How does adobe tell if you can still access programs while offline? I feel as if people could just turn their internet off and keep programs?

Most of the time that's how Adobe's Cloud software works. You just launch it and use it. No internet required.

However automatic background license checks (which require an internet connection) will take place at least every 99 days (on an annual plan) or every 30 days (on a month-by-month plan).

If more than 99 days elapse between license checks (the license check process built into the software cannot contact the Adobe server at all in that period) then the software will stop working until you connect to the internet for a license check.

• 5. Re: What happens if I change computers?
                  Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

@FunkyRamones Yes, you can do that - Sign-out first, then uninstall. You can by the way run CC installed applications without having internet access, as John Walker mentions Adobe does check license validity reasonably regularly. To activate a license you must be online, and Adobe checks if the software was activated elsewhere. if it was, then you might be prompted to sign out of other systems first before the activation can take place.