5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 3:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is the preview-quality of my fotos different (worse) in the timeline compared to the original image?

maike77

After importing fotos and videos into an new project for a film the quality of the original image in the preview of the timeline is terrible. When double-clicking in the picture however, the quality of the image is fine. This makes it impossible to use any effects (color, saturation, contrast) on the picture - as it doesn`t actually look like that...is there anything I can do?

I`m attaching a screenshot of the image in timeline and the original.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-03-01 um 19.35.24.png

Thanks!

Maike

• 1. Re: Why is the preview-quality of my fotos different (worse) in the timeline compared to the original image?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

maike

Judging from the headings that I can see and the absence of eLive in that Premiere Elements Editor workspace, you seem to be using Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1 on Mac computer. But, you could still be using 13/13.1 since last I heard eLive is not available in Europe. So please supply the Premiere Elements version information.

In your screenshot, you point to a still issue. What are the pixel dimensions of that still? JPEG or PSD? What effects have been applied to the photo prior to import into Premiere Elements Editor? If you import the same photo into the Elements Organizer, does its thumbnail present there with those washed out colors? In Premiere Elements Editor have you tried to pop the colors with any of the color correction tools?

What project preset have you (manually) or the project (automatically) set to match the properties of the source media?

Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Please review and consider. And, then we will plan troubleshooting strategy accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is the preview-quality of my fotos different (worse) in the timeline compared to the original image?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

maike

Add On to my post 1

Things to do...

1. In the Expert workspace, right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then Highest to replace Automatic.

2. Under Edit Menu/Preferences/General, assure that Timeline rendering quality (valid for HD projects) is set to "High quality, Slow speed" instead of

"Draft quality, High speed".

3. Timeline render the Timeline content (if Timeline rendering for best possible preview is indicated by an orange line over the content).

4. Output the Timeline rendered Timeline content to your export choice

a. file saved to the computer hard drive

b. burn to disc

and compare the quality of the output with the preview quality.

We will be watching for the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why is the preview-quality of my fotos different (worse) in the timeline compared to the original image?
              maike77 Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Thanks for the quick reply. Please see my answers below:

I`m using a 15 " Macbook Pro with Retina and Adobe Elements Version 13.1 - German Version. I do not know, what eLive is - sorry.

My video card/graphics card is absolutely up to date - the Macbook I`m using is only a year old.

The original images are .jpeg.

Dimensions: 4000 x 3000 px.

To some of the pictures I have applied effects with Snapseed (App) or iPhoto-Editor. But not to all of them - and I do have this washed-out-effect on those as well.

In Elements Organizer the thumbnails and the pictures are absolutely OK.

I did try to correct the colours in Premiere Elements Editor with the color correction tools when I first discovered the washed-out-effect - but this is of course totally useless, as actually the original picture is OK - so I got back to the original.

I did not consciously use any manual presets to match the properties of the source media. Or at least not as far as I remember. I did import the original fotos into the organizer, used the "video story" presets to arrange the pictures and then proceeded to the timeline where I first noticed the strange effect.

I hope you can tackle the issue better with these questions answered?

Thanks,

Maike

• 5. Re: Why is the preview-quality of my fotos different (worse) in the timeline compared to the original image?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

maike77

Thanks for the replies and looking into the troubleshooting suggestions.

Important...

If your photo color issues involve content processed through Video Story, please leave Video Story out of the equation and

verify whether or not your issue exists when the photos are imported into a project, Timeline rendered, and then viewed in

the Edit area monitor.

This may be a Video Story issue.

Thanks.

ATR