4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 1:16 PM by nortont12337475

Missing photo files.

nortont12337475

Why do some of my photo files go missing, leaving only the thumbnail image on the desktop?

• 1. Re: Missing photo files.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

nortont

What program are you working with? And, on what computer operating system is it running?

Where do the photos go missing from.....from a saved/closed project that is reopened or other?

Are you staying that you are storing the originals on the computer desktop and importing the them from there

into your project, either Photoshop Elements Editor, Premiere Elements Editor, or Elements Organizer?

Please give more details that will help us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Missing photo files.
            nortont12337475 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I'm using Photoshop Elements 13 running on Microsoft 7.  I import images from my Nikon D90 into the program without a problem.  However, frequently when I return to the "Organizer" in Photoshop to print or edit, an image will have a question mark in the upper left corner and text saying that the file is missing.  Text also permits me to "browse" for the missing file but it has never succeeded in finding same.  Sometimes, I can reload a given image from my camera but this doesn't seem to work with images which are shared with me by emails from others.

Tom Norton

• 3. Re: Missing photo files.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom Norton

Your thread somehow got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum (video editing) and not Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum (photo editing).

Please re-post your thread question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum

Photoshop Elements

or wait for a moderator to see your thread here and move it from here to there.

Please consider...

a. To where in the computer are you transferring your Nikon D90 photos?

b. After you import your edited or unedited photos into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, are you moving, deleting, renaming the photos and/or the

folders that hold the photos? Those thumbnails are copies of the photos that need to trace back to the originals at the save location where they were

when they were imported into the program.

c. While you are getting the missing photos message in Elements Organizer, can you still see the photos (those said to be missing in Elements Organizer) on the hard

drive at the same location before after import into Elements Organizer?

d. Did you establish the Elements Organizer so that its catalog is stored on a removable disc instead of on the computer's internal hard drive?

The experts in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum can work with you to sort out the details of what is happening in your particular situation.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 4. Re: Missing photo files.
                nortont12337475 Level 1

Thank you again.  I'll do as you suggest. 

Tom Norton