4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 3:02 PM by K_Georgiadis

printing a 8.5 x 11 print

K_Georgiadis

I find Lr's Print Module extremely confusing, especially because of the image Preview that I am unable to correlate with the final result.

In Lightroom's Develop Module I cropped my image to 8.5 x 11 and I want to print it on 8.5 x 11 photo paper with a uniform 20-pixel white margin all around it. After wasting a lot of good photo paper in abortive attempts, I must declare total defeat and request your kind guidance.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: printing a 8.5 x 11 print
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

First off printing paper isn't defined by pixels per inch. If you want to print to a paper size of 8.5 x 11 inches and have a equal boarder of white around the whole image then you have to decide what that 20 pixel dimension is in inches. 1/4 inch around the image? 3/8" around? Then double that and crop to that size. So if it is 1/4" you would need to crop to 8 x 10.5.

Sorry I don't use the LR print module much if at all. I print from Photoshop but the same applies. When I do print I usually print to a paper size of 13 x 19. Which works very well for 3/2 aspect ratio with a 1/2" boarder around the image on paper. So I crop and or set resolution to equal 12 x 18.

Then again you have to take into consideration your printers specs. Can it print to within 1/4" of the paper edge? Even some printers that can print boarder-less have restrictions as to the margin when not set to boarder-less printing.

• 2. Re: printing a 8.5 x 11 print
            K_Georgiadis Level 1

Thank you. I think that I have just figured out, using the Lightroom Print Module: (1) crop to 8.5 x 11 (2) in the print module allow 0.25 inch margin on each side (3) enable bordered printing in the (Canon) Printer Properties dialog box

• 3. Re: printing a 8.5 x 11 print
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

K_Georgiadis wrote:

Thank you. I think that I have just figured out, using the Lightroom Print Module: (1) crop to 8.5 x 11 (2) in the print module allow 0.25 inch margin on each side (3) enable bordered printing in the (Canon) Printer Properties dialog box

That will work but then LR is reducing your image to fit the paper size with boarder.

Glad it is working out.

• 4. Re: printing a 8.5 x 11 print
                K_Georgiadis Level 1

Yes, that is true. Next time I am going to try your approach. Thanks again!