3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 4:10 PM by trshaner

How can I find missing photos who's filenames have been changed?

momo034

Hi, back when I was a novice Lightroom user a made a ton of mistakes, and now several years later I am trying to organize my photos and those mistakes are catching up with me. 

The big one I am wrestling with now is that I have several folders full of photos that, when I imported them into lightroom the photos names were, for example Photo-A, Photo B, Photo C, etc etc.

At some point I changed their names (the file names on my hard drive...not through Lightroom) to something else, such as Photo (1), Photo (2), Photo (3), etc. etc.

I have no previews or thumbnails in LR (lost in a huge messy amateur mixup) so can't see the images but I can look at the metadata in LR and see what time, for instance the first three photos were taken, say 10:01, 10:02, and 10:03....And if I look at the first 3 photos in in the actual hard drive they are taken at the same time.

Renaming them in LR to match the name on the hard drive is not an option, it wont let me rename them in LR since the file is missing.  And I cannot rename them on the Hard drive to match LR because when you batch rename files in Windows it always does it using the parenthesis (1), (2), (3), etc.  So I can never get it to match

So, without doing it one by one (I have hundreds), is there a way to either get around the renaming issue or better yet to make Lightroom find them using the metadata instead of the name?

I would be greatly indebted to anyone who has the solution!  Thanks

Marie

• 1. Re: How can I find missing photos who's filenames have been changed?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If by chance you changed the names and didn't include a file extension I don't see how LR can see them. It ignores files that aren't images and any file without a file extension isn't seen as an image even if it really is.

The best thing you could do is use a file search program to locate all files on your drives that don't have a file extension. Search for Photo* (that's a Star, Shift # 8 key) and see what comes up. If you find them on your drives you'll need to rename them once again and include .JPG at the end of them.

If you are on a Mac don't bother with the built in search feature. Get "Find Any File" or "Easy Find". Two of the best Mac OS X search apps. If you are on a Windows PC there are many good file search programs.

• 2. Re: How can I find missing photos who's filenames have been changed?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If there is no LR edits to keep, or if you don't want to keep the existing edits, you could delete the files from LR and import them again.

Since the file names on disk and file names in LR don't match, you will need to manually match them up by hand individually, if you want to keep the existing LR edits.

The easiest approach to this -- without doing any script programming -- is to go into each directory, one at a time:

Select the correct folder in the "folders" pane. Right-click "show parent" as necessary to see the directory tree.

Sort the LR Library by creation date.

Using the details view in File Explorer, sort the files by creation date (add to the viewed columns if necessary).

Assuming no more than 1 image per second, the files should line up.

• 3. Re: How can I find missing photos who's filenames have been changed?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

momo034 wrote:

Renaming them in LR to match the name on the hard drive is not an option, it wont let me rename them in LR since the file is missing.  And I cannot rename them on the Hard drive to match LR because when you batch rename files in Windows it always does it using the parenthesis (1), (2), (3), etc.  So I can never get it to match

This should work:

Advanced Renamer - Free and fast batch rename utility for files and folders