5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 1:36 PM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects CS6 going nuts!

dpolkat3 Level 1

I have After Effects CS6, no updates or add ons. It has worked fine all along, but then today it went nuts. The problems: I was making a deep space scene, placing tow planets in the scene and moving them about. Usually I make a planet by importing a texture, then using CC Sphere to make it round, as most people do. Well, this worked fine. Then I usually use scale and size with key frames to move it about. Today however, I couldn't get the 'planet' to move, and when I tried to play it back, it gave me about 1 second of very quickly changing textures (wow, didn't understand that) and the 'planet' dissappeared. When I move the cursor back to the start, it reappears. Then I noticed that the actual 'track' on the timeline is tiny, no where near as long as the composition settings.

As this has worked well for a while, I have not added computer info, which I have not changed since installing AF.

I figured it was a fluke, as I've done this before, but now I can't get it to work at all. So what to do? I can't find anything in the Preferences that look wrong. Should I try reinstalling?? Any advice?  Thanks!!

• 1. Re: After Effects CS6 going nuts!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As this has worked well for a while, I have not added computer info, which I have not changed since installing AF.

That's good for you, but since we know nothing about it, how do you hope to get help? Sorry, this is slightly ridiculous. Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details like what textures you use for the spehere, screenshots of the timelein and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CS6 going nuts!
            dpolkat3 Level 1

Yea, guess you are right. Just doesn't seem to be system related. It's a PC, Asus P5N7A motherboard with an Intel Core2 Quad, with 3 gigs of memory (yea, I know I need more memory), Windows 7 build 7601. It will slow down now and then, but has always worked well with Adobe stuff.  All my textures are simple .jpg files (which all worked in the past).

Indeed, I have just now discovered that AE no longer works right with any still image!  Here's a shot of my screen when it stops working correctly. [I get the feeling there is something I'm forgetting to do].

You may also notice that the timeline appears to be marked in....frames?? I don't remember that either!

planet.jpg

• 3. Re: After Effects CS6 going nuts!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, your "PNG" is clearly a sequence so the simple answer probably is that you inadvertently left the "sequence" option enabled in the import dialog. If that doesn't fix it, there could be color profile issues with the PNG or file damage as well as certain effects going wonky, but I'm positive reimporting the files as stills will fix your little problem...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects CS6 going nuts!
                dpolkat3 Level 1

Well, it was an import problem, but not what we expected! I have five textures I use for planets. Yesterday I rearranged my files, and named the textures as texture 1.jpg, texture 2.jpg, and so on. Now, when I try to import a texture, it attempts to import all of them with a file it calls texture (1-5).jpg. I hadn't noticed that before. So when I hit the play button, it tried to play them all at once. Weird! Anyway, renaming the files with quite separate names fixed it! Now it works correctly.

I'm still working on the timeline display. I remember it showing seconds and frames, but I can't find that now. Any ideas?

• 5. Re: After Effects CS6 going nuts!
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm still working on the timeline display. I remember it showing seconds and frames, but I can't find that now. Any ideas?

After Effects Help | Timecode and time display units

1 person found this helpful