• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

line wrap without line feed

Advisor ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not my day =8-} after sidestepping the page-size question by creative copy/paste, I was finally able to get started on what I'd earlier identified as the first task of the day. More bafflement, more behaviour I've never seen before …

I have a style for a cover page that I normally adjust depending on the length of the content (yes, these pages have been Designed) after paste special to get the required text in. To my amazement, this familiar manipulation has this morning somehow contrived to apply word-wrap on a single line – in other words, if I type till the end of the line and carry on typing, FM thoughtfully hyphenates the last word and whisks the cursor back to the start of the line; no line-feed.

Sympathetic comments, diagnostics and corrective advice welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

got it! the Designed layout requires me to play with line spacing for the three paragraph styles involved. The line spacing value for one paragraph had ended up so low that when text overflowed it was wrapping over itself. Typical software – doing what you'd actually asked it to do :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Format > Paragraph > Designer
/ Advanced \

[_] Hyphenate {off}

[ Apply ]

There's also a trick for turning this off for all tags, if desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew about turning off hyphenation, which is something I usually do anyway … but why would enabling hyphenation suppress the normal line feed mechanism?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

got it! the Designed layout requires me to play with line spacing for the three paragraph styles involved. The line spacing value for one paragraph had ended up so low that when text overflowed it was wrapping over itself. Typical software – doing what you'd actually asked it to do :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines