3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 10:55 PM by RjL190365

is this a good computer set up?

e85srt4

Hey all, I am new to after effects and computer building. I was wondering if the description below would be good to run after effects pretty effortlessly and process everything quickly. I am using pinnacle studio 18 ultimate for the video editing also. I can also upgrade to 16gig ram but i think 8 will be plenty.

• Windows 8.1 64
      • HP WLAN 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 MCard BT
      • Integrated Sound, Envy Audio; Beats Audio
      • SuperMulti DVD Burner
      • 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
      • 15-in-1 Multi-slot Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Front/Top), Audio [Front 2USB2.0, Top 2USB3.0]
      • AMD A8-6500 processor quad-core [3.5GHz,4MB L2 Cache]
      • 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720 [DVI, HDMI, DVI to VGA Dongle]
      • 300W Power supply
      • HP Envy 700-500z Desktop PC
      • 8GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMM ]
        • 1. Re: is this a good computer set up?
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects needs a fast processor and lots of memory, I would go for an i7 CPU and at least 24gb ram.

• 2. Re: is this a good computer set up?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Get a larger power supply, especially if you plan on adding discs.

• 3. Re: is this a good computer set up?
              RjL190365 Level 4

Unfortunately, that PC is nowhere near good enough for use with any "professional"-level video editing software or After Effects. You see, that AMD A8-6500 APU performs about as weakly as an eight-year-old Intel Core 2 Quad CPU to begin with. Add to that an insufficient amount of RAM (After Effects runs far better with 32GB or more RAM than with 16GB), plus only a single hard drive for absolutely everything – OS, programs, cache, previews, projects, media and exports, all crammed onto the exact same physical hard disk (which will severely slow down overall editing performance to even lower heights than the already molasses-slow performance of such a weak CPU). As a result, that PC might very well take all of 24 hours just to render even one hour's worth of video content if any scaling whatsoever (e.g. 1080i to 480i) is required.