9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 9:19 PM by Peferling

Problems with Large Project

barker85 Level 1

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded many components of my system (please find specs at the end of the post), as well as adding storage, in an attempt to rectify problems I had been having with Premiere.

Unfortunately the bulk of the problems I had initially are still there when working on my primary project (the problems are either not apparent or far less extreme in brand new projects) and they are having an extremely debilitating effect on productivity, so I would very much like to ascertain the root causes of these and how to fix them.

FYI the primary project is relatively large (920MB) and there doesn't appear to be any way I can pare it down any more as I constantly need to access everything in it. It also has imports from various incarnations of Premiere.

Opening Project: Takes several minutes to open project and then for project to locate files. About 10-15 minutes more to load everything else once opened.

Save/autosave: Takes several minutes to save

Copy/pasting assets: Painstakingly slow; causes "not responding" hangs and sometimes crashes

Linking offline clips: Generally works, though takes its time and sometimes causes crashes

Editing any timeline assets, even titles: Painstakingly slow; causes "not responding" hangs at times

Playback: Program Monitor does not always stop when stop button is pushed and video keeps going

Playback of 4K R3D files at 1/2: Mostly fine, though CPU often reaches 100%, with RAM peaking at 29GB

System:

Windows 7

i7 5930k @ 3.5GHz

GTX 970

32GB DDR4 (8GB x4)

X99-A

NH-D14 Cooler

AX1200i PSU

Storage:

SSD (OS)

SSD II (Projects, Cache, Previews)

x14 7200rpm SATA III 2TB drives, filled up to 70%, no RAID (Media)

Many thanks...

• 1. Re: Problems with Large Project
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you dont want to split out your project to smaller projects, you might have to find a way to reduce the project file size. the warp stabilizer effect seems to add a ton of information to the project file, if you are using that on alot of clips you could try to remove it, then apply it back after the editing is done.  you could try this with a duplicate copy of the project file, to see if it makes any difference, or even try removing all effects in that duplicate project to see if its another effect slowing it down.

there are other posts with large project files slowing down premiere, i dont know if they found any solution.

• 2. Re: Problems with Large Project
            barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info...

So do you think these problems are due to intrinsic limitations of running a large project?

• 3. Re: Problems with Large Project

i think larger projects place more demand on the computer and software, as can happen in any program. premiere has to have more information open and juggle it all, even while we are just working on a small section of the timeline.  it really depends on how adobe programed their software, if it can juggle just what is being worked on in a large project, or if it juggles alot more or everything and cripples the computer.

• 4. Re: Problems with Large Project
                barker85 Level 1

I have been monitoring with task manager and usually the CPU/RAM is not really taxed at all during the problems I have described. Unless it is related to the disks...

It is very disappointing that Premiere seems to handle large projects so poorly. I will see if it is at all possible to pare the project down but that really isn't ideal at all. Additionally, I didn't have any of these problems when using previous versions with a laptop that was far less powerful than my current system.

• 5. Re: Problems with Large Project

if these problems dont happen on the older version of premiere, it suggests that its a problem with the new version. there are several very long threads with 8.x having issues, but i dont know if they actually relate to this problem.  if its bad programing/software, it wont always show up as high cpu usage, the software will be waiting on itself to process something.  i have this problem with adobe's audition, all computer resources are barely being touched, yet the program just sits there.

• 6. Re: Problems with Large Project
                    barker85 Level 1

Wow...

I wish I knew this before spending about $1600 on new parts and taking almost a week to build the system.

I tried Adobe tech chat support who said to clean the cache, which made no difference, then he seemed to leave the chat, which happens frequently.

Think I might be changing software for my next project...

• 7. Re: Problems with Large Project
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi barker85,

I wish I knew this before spending about $1600 on new parts and taking almost a week to build the system.

Most of the issues similar to what you are experiencing are with people that updated complex project files from CS6 or CC to CC 2014.1 or 2014.2. It sounds like you did update your project file along the way, and it is large and complex, therefore, very likely at the heart of these issues. The fix is to move back to a previous version, but it isn't practical for many people since they have done significant work in the newer version and moving back to a previous version via XML can be problematic.

Furthermore, a project file that is almost 1 GB is certainly very large and subject to the kind of problems you are having. However, I strongly feel that you probably got bitten with a project file corruption when you updated your software. It is a major issue to update project files and is not recommended to update to major new versions of an NLE application when you are in the middle of a large, complex project.

One issue that I feel we didn't tell people in strong enough language is that 8.1 was a major version. It appeared to be a harmless dot release, but it had lots of new features and a UI refresh which made for significant changes in the project file structure.

I tried Adobe tech chat support who said to clean the cache, which made no difference, then he seemed to leave the chat, which happens frequently.

I'm not sure why you got cut off, but that should not have happened. Sorry about that. And you said this happened frequently to you or is that just the impression you have based on comments you've read online? Are you in the U.S.? We have been updating our software and it's a bit spottier in other parts of the world. We hope to improve that function very soon.

Keep in mind that you can always open a new chat or give us a call via support: Contact Customer Care

I apologize for all these issues and wish there were more things I could do to help.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 8. Re: Problems with Large Project
                        barker85 Level 1

"Most of the issues similar to what you are experiencing are with people that updated complex project files from CS6 or CC to CC 2014.1 or 2014.2. It sounds like you did update your project file along the way, and it is large and complex, therefore, very likely at the heart of these issues. The fix is to move back to a previous version, but it isn't practical for many people since they have done significant work in the newer version and moving back to a previous version via XML can be problematic."

I have done significant amounts of work so going back would be incredibly problematic. Unfortunately I did not know that staying in one version was recommended but even had I known, I have had to use/install plug-ins which are only compatible with the latest versions.

" I strongly feel that you probably got bitten with a project file corruption when you updated your software. It is a major issue to update project files and is not recommended to update to major new versions of an NLE application when you are in the middle of a large, complex project."

I have hundreds of versions of my major project (though mostly autosaves) and every one I've tried seems to be affected. I have also had to install/re-install Premiere several times. Or do you mean that when I initially updated the software then used the project it somehow corrupted everything? Or that each install is corrupting each file when they are converted to open in the latest version?

"I'm not sure why you got cut off, but that should not have happened. Sorry about that. And you said this happened frequently to you or is that just the impression you have based on comments you've read online? Are you in the U.S.? We have been updating our software and it's a bit spottier in other parts of the world. We hope to improve that function very soon."

I am in Europe. Dealing with the Adobe Tech Chat Staff (I presume they are based in India?) has generally been a complete nightmare - an average session lasts literally for hours, most of that being very long silences on their end and frequent instances of chats being cut off abruptly.

• 9. Re: Problems with Large Project
                          Peferling Level 4

Barker, I'm going to pay you a compliment of sorts, while I don't know how long you've been in this business, I assume that you might be too young to know about working with proxy files.  Real proxy files.  Where you encode an SD (scaled up) or low grade HD version of your clips and work with them right up until render, then swap/relink for the high res and export.

I remember the days when it took $30K in hardware just to do a few layers of uncompressed SD at a decent rate.  Even then it was proxy files and working on projects in stages.  I would create a cuts only project using proxies.  Swap out the proxies and render a cuts only clip.  Then take that clip into another project just for the FX, etc.  Kinda like old school.

Even today, when I encounter a heavy handed HD edit.  I will save the finishing as a separate, new project just for that purpose to ease the burden of the FX stack.  A few times I'll create a scratch project for any heavy handed individual clips to work over without the burdon of the entire project loaded into memory.  Then end game is memory management.