5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 7:12 AM by A.T. Romano

Compatibility of nvidia GTX560Ti video card drivers for PE 11,12,13

Major Sparky

I have been struggling to get my PE10 to work properly. When I load the camcorder .MTS files into a new project to edit, the first frame displays o.k but then freezes, i.e. the video won't play. Various forums point to the incompatibility of the NVidia driver with PE10 and claim that legacy driver versions (e.g.320.xx) might work. I have tried to install such drivers but without success. My question is: if I upgrade to a later version of PE, am I likely to have the same problem? I.e, is the incompatibility of PE10 and NVidia drivers a known problem that has been overcome in later versions of PE?

Help appreciated.

PC hardware:

Video card: NVidia GTX-560Ti with 1Gb RAM.

PC: i7-3770K processor with 8Gb RAM.

Operating system: Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Compatibility of nvidia GTX560Ti video card drivers for PE 11,12,13
          whsprague Level 4

I have a GTX 670 in an ASUS Laptop.  Version 11 and now 13 function fine.  I skipped 12.

You didn't ask, but I upgraded out of version 10 to 11 for improved AVCHD ".mts" compatibility and functionality.  If I recall correctly, version 10 had some weaknesses in 1080p60 support and "full AVCHD 2.0" support came in 11. 

Bill

• 2. Re: Compatibility of nvidia GTX560Ti video card drivers for PE 11,12,13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Major Sparky

The known display problem with Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce which requires the roll back of the driver version to around May 2013 has not been reported with any other version of Premiere Elements moving forward. If you want links to the volumes of information on that particular issue, I will post them for you. Since you are working with Windows 7 64 bit, you are likely to find the older NVIDIA GeForce driver versions. Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit users who want to use this roll back fix run into the issue that NVIDIA goes not offer driver versions old enough for Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit for this fix.

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

NVIDIA.JPG

Even with your NVIDIA card, it is questionable if the July 1, 2013 320.49 driver would be work for you, I am not sure if it is old enough to

meet the driver version roll back needed (around May 2013). If you have tried that, then that is not going to be way out for your present situation.

If you do move to version 11, 12, or 13 with the files from your camera, please look at the Premiere Elements tryout before purchase to assure the

compatibility of the version with your computer environment and project goals.

Of special attention in the tryout....

Does your camera offer you two recording choices AVCHD and MP4. Both are reported by the camera manufacturers to use AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264)

video compression. Consequently, I would look at the relative performance of the AVCHD.mts and the AVCHD.mp4 that arrives at your Timeline.

Recent threads here (even with the current version 13/13.1) seem to point to less Premiere Elements Editor and Elements Organizer stability problems with AVCHD.mp4 than with AVCHD.mts.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Compatibility of nvidia GTX560Ti video card drivers for PE 11,12,13
              whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

Does your camera offer you two recording choices AVCHD and MP4. Both are reported by the camera manufacturers to use AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264)

video compression. Consequently, I would look at the relative performance of the AVCHD.mts and the AVCHD.mp4 that arrives at your Timeline.

Recent threads here (even with the current version 13/13.1) seem to point to less Premiere Elements Editor and Elements Organizer stability problems with AVCHD.mp4 than with AVCHD.mts.

ATR

ATR,

With due respect, I mentioned to you a week or so ago that the "AVCHD.mp4" format does not exist.  AVCHD and MP4 are different "formats".  They do share the H.264 codec.

I don't recall you ever acknowledging anything I've written on this "user" forum, so please try a google search on "AVCHD vs MP4", "AVCHD.mp4" or "avchd mp4 difference".  Actual differences in regular use may be minor, but camera menus provide a choice between MP4 OR AVCHD with sub settings below each.  There is not a choice to combine them.

If it would help, I could provide some references to common camera model instructions.  Please let me know.

Bill

• 4. Re: Compatibility of nvidia GTX560Ti video card drivers for PE 11,12,13
                Major Sparky Level 1

Many thanks Bill and ATR; your replies have both been very helpful. I have downloaded the trial version of PE13 and it works like a dream. I also like the minimalist layout of PE13, so I'll upgrade to that. It will cost me about £50/$70 to upgrade, which irks a bit (do I blame Nvidia or Adobe?) especially since I also had a problem with PE10 not being able to display video during capture of material from my mini-dv camcorder. The solution from this forum on that occasion was to use a third party capture program, which did solve the problem (this forum does provide excellent advice). I have looked thro' the menu of my new Sony HDR-PJ810E but can find no means of altering the format of the recorded material (e.g. from mts to mp4). The spec for the camcorder says `AVCHD format ver 2.0 compatible MPEG4-AVC/H264'.  As such, would you expect the cam to have the option of changing the recorded material format? Once again, thanks for the advice.

• 5. Re: Compatibility of nvidia GTX560Ti video card drivers for PE 11,12,13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Major Sparky

Thank you for your update. Sounding very good.

MPEG4-AVC/H.264 (commonly referred to as AVCHD) is just a video compression for a file with a given container/wrapper format. If you are using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and the MPEG4-AVC/H.264 (AVCHD) video compression with a .mts container is working for you then that is a consideration. If not, then please explore the comments to follow for the possible choice of the MPEG4-AVC/H.264 (AVCHD) video compression with a .mp4 container.

Please check out page 29 of the Sony's Operating Guide

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4489506112.pdf

for the camera's Specifications. They include two choices - one for "AVCHD" and one for "MP4". Note that Sony further describes the video compression and audio compression for each, describing the video compression for each as MP4 AVC/H.264 which is commonly referred to as AVCHD. Two differ in audio compression...

"AVCHD" with Dolby Digital and "MP4" with AAC.

Do you find those options in your particular Sony model? I was not sure as far as I got in your camera's Operating Manual which covers several models besides yours.

So, from those specifications as written I read from that and into that the following...but.for further information about what Sony is offering for what it calls MP4 AVCHD.264 video compression, ultimate source would be Sony Tech Support.

AVCHD choice

....AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression and Dolby Digital wrapped by the container format .mts.

MP4 choice

..AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression and AAC audio wrapped by the contained format .mp4.

The Sony's Operating Guide that I am citing covers 4 Sony models - HDR-PJ810/PJ810E/PJ820/PJ820E, so at this point, I am assuming that the specifications apply to all 4 since it is not stated otherwise there.

On the matter of AVCHD.mts versus AVCHD.mp4, please refer to post designated 12 Feb 2014 11:57 in the following

FCP.co Forum :: Topic: AVCHD vs. MP4 ? (1/2)

especially the part which is identified as a quote from community sony.com.

Thanks for the follow up. We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR