20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2017 3:35 PM by Derek Cross

ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions

Blueicarus

Hello all,

I've literally jumped at the new feature of being able to create Fixed Layout ePubs from InDesign CC2014. Although it works like a charm on a Mac and on iOS with iBooks (including animations, fonts and embedded QuickTimes) and Adobe Digital Editions, it is an absolute pain on the Windows side of things.

I have the very same document on Windows with Adobe Digital Editions and you would expect the same good result as on Mac but none of the (embedded) fonts are displayed correctly. Yes, I've used OTF fonts and they don't have restrictions... I checked it in Readium/Chrome and that works fortunately, but that isn't the ideal solution. Is there any other Reader app on Windows that shows everything as it should be shown? 

Not to speak of Android... (if there are any tips what to use on that platform I'd appreciate it).

I have created a simple test page with some fonts and attached is collection of screenshots of the different results. Also notice how the copy text has overlapping words!?

If there is anyone out there that might have a clue about what is going on, I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Robert

ePub-Font-Issues.jpg

• 1. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

ADE on Windows is, shall we say, a less than stellar application.

• 2. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
            Blueicarus Level 1

Hehe ok. Got you ... but what is the solution?

• 3. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions

I use Readium for Chrome on Windows.

• 4. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                Blueicarus Level 1

Thanks so much Bob. Anything you can recommend for Android? Does Readium work on that as well?

• 5. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions

Readium is a chrome plugin. I’m not not sure what’s up with Android at this point.

• 6. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I get the impression that Android is more of a consumer platform than a professional platform so I'm not surprised. And its consumers are expecting FREE apps, not encouraging for professional developers (ducking and running....)

• 7. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                      sacbookdesigner

+1 I am experiencing this same issue with Adobe Digital Editions on Windows 8.1. In my case, I'm experiencing words in my headers and footnotes overlapping as a result of fonts not loading. I've also tested this with various fonts and I can confirm that ADE replaced TypeKit's Source Sans Pro with the system Arial. This should be reported as a bug since it loads fonts just fine in OSX, but not Windows. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to pull apart my epubs and try some HTML and CSS edits. I should not that I tested the same files on my iPad and everything looks great there.

• 8. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                        MH57 Level 1

I was using ADE in Windows for checks on FXL ePubs produced with InDesign. The worst choice ever. Someone at Adobe should be fired for publishing this application for Windows machines.

• 9. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                          stefano.caprioli

Is there any way to let Adobe know that ADE should fix this in its next release?

I have this problem, too.

• 10. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions

Are you sure you have the most current release? It's been improved quite a bit since this thread was started.

• 11. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                              stefano.caprioli Level 1

Yes, I downloaded yesterday the two last ADE releases both for MAC and Win and in Windows there are still a lot of problems in otf type rendering.

• 12. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                Alexandre Frei

The problem continues even now. Interesting, because InDesign and Digital Editions are of the same company ...

• 13. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                  thepatje Adobe Community Professional

Did some tests with ADE on Windows and the results are that the software didn't read the embedded fonts. Works fine with Readlium.

Did someone have a solution or the correct HTML/CSS?

It seems to be a CSS problem.

• 14. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions

What version of InDesign? What version of EPUB did you export to? Are you sure you're running the most current version of ADE?

• 15. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                      MMCC Forensic Level 1

BobLevine wrote:

What version of InDesign? What version of EPUB did you export to? Are you sure you're running the most current version of ADE?

(Disclaimer: this message is from Marion’s techie Joel. not Marion himself.)

I can’t speak for thepatje, but I exported from InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.1.102 x64). I’m using ADE 4.5.2.151207 (which I just downloaded this past Wednesday, not long after you posted that — and I had no previous versions ever installed on this system, so this isn’t some conflict with old version .DLL or other cruft not being properly updated), and it happens there as well. It does it in EPUB (Reflowable) 2.0.1 and 3, and in EPUB (Fixed Layout) 3 (of course), which are the only three possible types of EPUBs that InDesign CC can export as of 2015.4. You didn’t ask about the OS, but I’m running Windows 10 Pro Threshold 2 (we deferred the update to Anniversary Edition), x64.

I tried every possible combination of EPUB export options I could think of. I thought that it was a problem with the exported EPUB, but came across this thread which seems to say that it’s a problem with the EPUB viewer that Adobe themselves made which Adobe themselves recommend as their standard EPUB viewer to verify proper export. This cost me nearly a week! I only found this thread by accident, looking for something else related.

Upon discovering that EPUB files are actually ZIP files, I opened one of the exports as an archive in 7-Zip and viewed the contents, and lo, the font files are all there right in the EPUB file (“OEBPS\font” subfolder)! The CSS is also there and includes the “font-family” references to the fonts for the various paragraph and character styles as translated to CSS classes, and also the “@font-face” references to the actual font files in that folder, with path properly specified. So it’s not a CSS issue (at least not in this regard).

Frankly, Adobe should be very embarrassed about this. Fonts are your company’s original reason for even existing, after all!

• 16. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                        MMCC Forensic Level 1

thepatje:
                                        Did some tests with ADE on Windows and the results are that the software didn't read the embedded fonts. Works fine with Readlium.
                                        Did someone have a solution or the correct HTML/CSS?

It seems to be a CSS problem.

(Disclaimer: this message is from Marion’s techie Joel. not Marion himself.)

If it were a problem with the generated CSS, then it wouldn’t work right in any ePub viewer. including ADE for Mac OS, Apple iBook, or Readium (all of which display the fonts just fine [except for OpenType features, but that’s another subject for another thread]).

No, the problem is in ADE for Windows.

• 17. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                          djalma agra

more than 1 year and they didn't correct ADE for windows yet, tks to this forum, i was about to lose my mind, just tried readium, and everything is working fine there.

• 18. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                            Harold's Mind Level 1

As of today, I can confirm this problem still exist on Windows version of Adobe Digital Editions. Font's will NOT render, and it looks like they are being substituted.

I have the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions installed on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine. I've exported my fixed layout epub from the latest version of InDesign. All fonts are OTF fonts that allow font embedding. So everything should work, however it doesn't.

The embedded fonts from the fixed layout epub does show and work properly on iOS (iBooks), Android (Google Play Books), and Readium (Chrome Extention). So as many have stated this definitely has to be an issue with the Windows version of Adobe Digital Editions. Good to know I wasn't going crazy trying to test it out on Windows.

• 19. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                              casinclaire Level 1

Just read the last comment from February 2017.  It's October now, and I'm both relieved and dismayed -- relieved to understand the problems I've been having with ADE and dismayed that they still have not been fixed!

I'm a print designer but my best client is branching out to epubs, so I've been giving myself a crash course this week. Most everything is coming together (FINALLY!) in my mind -- mostly thanks to Anne-Marie Concepcion's rocking Lynda.com epub courses; thanks, A-M! -- but I have been completely puzzled by the embeddable fonts not showing up in ADE. It is a shame -- shame, Adobe! -- that ADE doesn't work properly on Windows. This bug has cost me, and others, time we will never get back, and in my case, being such a newbie, I had no suspicions that ADE -- an Adobe product, of all things -- would let me down or could possibly be the fly in my epub soup.

Well, at least the mystery is solved. I'm checking things on Readium (Chrome extension) and feeling reassured. I'll know better when I put my client's author's book through Book Funnel.  Grrrrr!  It BETTER work!

Adobe, please clean up your room!

• 20. Re: ePub font issues in Adobe Digital Editions
                                                Derek Cross Adobe Community Professional

It's important to test your epubs on actual devices. And by the way, ensure you've licenced your fonts for ePubs, all TypeKit fonts are licensed for ePubs.

I can thoughly recommend FlightDeck for validating your ePubs.