6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 4:23 PM by kazpar0071

Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro

kazpar0071

Hi there, I'd like some advice on how to import .MXF files into Adobe Premiere Pro for editing.

At university, the Premiere software there can support it. It even has a Canon XF100 preset all ready for .MXF files to be imported into and editing. However, the version I have does not have that preset and thus can not support it.

I have come across a decent video converter that maintains the HD quality it was recorded in. However, it places a watermark above it unless I buy the full version. I am unsure, and as a student, it is pretty expensive.

So I'd like to know, is there a way of adding the Canon XF100/.MXF preset into Premiere so I can edit these clips? Or is there a free converter out there which maintains the HD quality without placing a watermark above the video?

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice for this situation.

• 1. Re: Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A bit of info ... computer specs wouldn't hurt, and of course OS ... and we definitely need which version of PrPro you're working with. Build number is the best number, found on the "Help->About" tab, bottom left corner.

Realistically, most any PrPro from CS6 on should handle those mxf files "native" without a problem. I would note, I never use a preset for importing ... in the CC versions, you navigate to footage in the Media browser & select it ... then right-click selecting "Import", then go to the Project panel and easiest way is to click & drag a clip into the empty timeline area & let go, PrPro creates a sequence at the settings needed by the footage. In CS6, you drag & drop a clip onto the "New Item" icon bottom right corner of the Project Panel.

Neil

• 2. Re: Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro
            kazpar0071 Level 1

I'm using the latest Macbook Pro, OSX Yosemite. 8.0.1 is the Build number of the software.

The preset is not there when creating a new sequence, however, I usually just create any sequence then drag and drop the media into the sequence, where Premiere will notify me that the sequence settings are different and whether or not I want to keep the existing settings, or change it, which automatically changes it according to the media.

This is not the case, as even when I attempt to import the media into Premiere, I get the error message 'Unsupported format or damaged file'.

Many thanks for your reply Neil. Any further advice based on this information I have provided?

• 3. Re: Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi kazpar0071,

I'm using the latest Macbook Pro, OSX Yosemite. 8.0.1 is the Build number of the software.

The preset is not there when creating a new sequence, however, I usually just create any sequence then drag and drop the media into the sequence, where Premiere will notify me that the sequence settings are different and whether or not I want to keep the existing settings, or change it, which automatically changes it according to the media.

This is not the case, as even when I attempt to import the media into Premiere, I get the error message 'Unsupported format or damaged file'.

Thanks for the info. In your case, the solution usually lies in signing out of Creative Cloud and then signing back in. Sign out, Sign in | Creative Cloud Desktop app

Does it work now? Afterward, be sure to ingest from the Media Browser and not File > Import or by dragging.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 4. Re: Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro
                kazpar0071 Level 1

Thank you for your reply Kevin.

I signed out and signed back in, but it has made no difference. I have also attempted to locate the files using the Media Browser instead, and these are it in the picture below. I still get the same 'Unsupported format or damaged file' message when trying to open them or import them.

There is nothing wrong in reality with these files as they are opening perfectly fine with VLC Player.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 01.33.43.png

• 5. Re: Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi kazpar0071,

Are you still facing this issue? If so, try uninstalling Premiere Pro, running Adobe CC Cleaner, then reinstalling Premiere Pro.

Adobe CC Cleaner is found here: Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: Importing .MXF file into Premiere Pro
                    kazpar0071 Level 1

I installed the trial version of Final Cut Pro which accepted it with the Canon XF plugin, and converted it in there to use with Premiere.

But Final Cut Pro is awful!