7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 11:53 AM by rob day

Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors

LyzakVG Level 1

I'll be honest: I'm likely missing something really basic. This is really frustrating, though.

The simple version: when I drag an Illustrator file into my InDesign document, its colors don't match the colors of shapes in the InDesign document drawn with the same color values.

The long version:

I'm working on a resume document. I've created a logo in Illustrator - the document is in CMYK color mode and uses SWOP v2 color space. I've dragged the file into InDesign, where I have some basic geometric shapes that intersect the logo. The InDesign document is also set to CMYK and is using the SWOP v2 color space. I've noticed, however, that the colors of my logo (which, again, was imported from Illustrator) do not match the colors of shapes drawn natively in InDesign even when their hexadecimal color values are identical. To further this point. I created a shape in InDesign with color #86c8cf. I then copied the value #86c8cf into Illustrator and drew a shape using that color. I imported that Illustrator shape into InDesign and placed the Illustrator Shape and the native InDesign shapes side by side. I even exported to PDF and pulled it up in preview to proof it. The colors, while very similar, are NOT the same color.

Am I missing something really obvious? Or are these two programs not at all working together like they're always said to do so well?

• 1. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors
          MW Design Level 4

Dunno why. Which versions of ID/AI? Not that it should matter, I get the same results with CS6 and CC2014.

One square in ID is native, the other from a placed AI file--though drag and drop are the same results.

capture-002840.png

Acrobat, hovering over one square...

capture-002841.png

And over the other square...

capture-002842.png

I used your hex values in Illy, used Illy's CMYK values in ID.

Mike

• 2. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors
            LyzakVG Level 1

I see a difference between those colors. You can't tell when there's a different colored border between the two, but when you have the two perfectly side-by-side, you can very faintly tell that they are different colors.

I'm using CC2014 for both applications.

• 3. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors
              MW Design Level 4

Can you upload a sample that demonstrates the issue? Sample AI, sample ID, ZIP them up, upload to dropbox.com or the like and provide a download link.

The numbers in Acrobat are the same in my sample. So assuming your color numbers are the same, the same working spaces, without seeing/checking a difference in a sample you provide I don't know what to suggest.

Mike

• 4. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The InDesign document is also set to CMYK and is using the SWOP v2 color space

InDesign doesn't have a document color space, you can have a mix of Lab, RGB, and CMYK colors on a page. Don't spec your InDesign color as a hex value, get the actual CMYK values from the logo in Illustrator and use those values to make an InDesign swatch in the Swatches panel. If you use the Color Picker be aware that when you pick color there the mode can be RGB, Lab, or CMYK—make sure you are making a CMYK color.

• 5. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors

I've dragged the file into InDesign

If you are dragging and dropping (or cut and pasting) the logo, try unchecking Prefer PDF When Pasting in your Clipboard Handling preference. In that case ID will make matching swatches, which you can then apply to your ID objects:

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 7.13.53 AM.png

• 6. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors
                    LyzakVG Level 1

I knew it was something dumb I was doing wrong. Of course I shouldn't be using hex values in CMYK mode - hex is just another representation of RGB.

The colors were different but InDesign sure didn't make it easy to tell. Selecting the InDesign shape I made and pulling open the color menu revealed that the Cyan value was 46, but dragging the color picker tool showed Cyan 45. Dragging the color picker over the Illustrator logo, meanwhile, showed 46. Problem was solved by entering new color values into both the InDesign document and Illustrator document using CMYK values, instead of hex values.

Thanks for pointing that out. I feel silly but at least my document isn't having serious clashing issues anymore...

• 7. Re: Colors of imported illustrator files don't match indesign colors

Of course I shouldn't be using hex values in CMYK mode

It wouldn't be impossible to get matching colors when you define hex, both programs make color managed conversions of hex colors to CMYK. To get a match all of the document color settings have to be the same—the source RGB  as well as the destination CMYK profile and the Conversion Options (Intent and Black Point Compensation). Illustrator uses the Color Settings' Working RGB profile as the source, but InDesign doucuments can have an assigned RGB profile, so it uses the document's assigned RGB profile as the source.

If you were to sync your Color Settings to North American General Purpose, which is what Mike probably did, and make new documents in both apps, your #86c8cf hex color should produce the same CMYK values.