Exit

autonumbering mess

Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have FM 12.0.4.455

I have a book that contains about 5 chapters.  Each topic within the chapters are separate files, beginning with a "home page" file which is really just the master page and nothing else. For example

-Getting Started chapter

----getting started home.fm <home page>

----intro.fm  <content>

----database.fm <content>

-Installation chapter

----installation home.fm <home page>

----system requirements.fm <content>

I would only like the 1st page to contain a Chapter number, so only the "home" files should display this information.  I also want the page numbers of each page to contain the chapter number + current page number, for example, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2..

For the numbering -

First I used the autonumber format of <n=1>.0\t for the first chapter and <n+>.0\t for the other chapters.  This worked well, but it's stopping me from adding the chapter number to the footer because I can't figure out how to get it in the footer.  THEN, I used <chapnum>.0\t, thinking this was my easiest bet to add it both to the content and the page numbering.  The problem is I can't get the numbers increment correctly when I use "chapnum" (or sectionnum or volnum).  Works great on <n> but incorrectly on all others.

In my example above, using <chapnum>, the Installation chapter displays as Chapter 4, corresponding to the 4th file in the book!  I want it to say "Chapter 2" corresponding to the second chapter in the book!  I've selected "continue numbering" everywhere I can find it, from the Format > Document level, and by right-clicking the file from the book file list. I've updated the toc each time.

Simply reverting to <n> fixes everything without changing anything else except the building block.

On the other hand - if there's anyway to add the chapter number to the page number without using <chapnum>, I will do that instead!

Any other suggestions?  What am I missing? I have spent way too long doing and redoing everything thinking I am missing something!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

You should be using the <$chapnum> building block, but you have to control it via the book file. Do not try to control numbering via the individual .fm files.

In the book file, click on the chapter and then set the Chapter numbering properties as required. In your example, set the "Getting Started" file as having "1", then set the next three to use the same number as the previous chapter, then for the "Installation" chapter, set that to continue numbering and then the next files to use same, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be using the <$chapnum> building block, but you have to control it via the book file. Do not try to control numbering via the individual .fm files.

In the book file, click on the chapter and then set the Chapter numbering properties as required. In your example, set the "Getting Started" file as having "1", then set the next three to use the same number as the previous chapter, then for the "Installation" chapter, set that to continue numbering and then the next files to use same, etc. You can then safely use the <$chapnum> building block in all of your auto-numbers and it will be correct.

Book_Chapnum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So obvious now.........

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines