Also, I'm running Windows 8.1, 64 bit. The directory paths I've seen in some of the faqs don't seem to apply.
Did you get the confirmation to replace the prefs?
Hello, I'm having exactely the same annoying problem. Since the latest update the program crashes the same way! I'm using Version 22.214.171.1249 on MacOS 10.7.5.
Any swift help would be appreciated.
I hit "yes" for deleting preferences, I restarted in safe mode, I signed out and then in of adobe creative cloud, restarted again...I'm at a loss.
Try System Restore and go back to a date when it worked...
Just got off the phone with Adobe technical support. My man Anu saved the day!
Here is my very inexpert description of what he did.
Apparently InDesign references a Windows C++ package. The package must have been corrupted and needed to be repaired.
1. He downloaded the Windows Visual C++ Redistributable package for for 64 bit and x86
2. Then he went to C:users/Sean/appdata (to get that he, he had to go to View and hit the "show hidden files" radio button)
3. He then went to Roaming/Adobe/Indesign/V10
4. Once he got there he renamed the file En_US (which is, if I understand it, the Preferences file) to 2En_US
5. Then he went up to appdata/Local/Adobe/Indesign/V10 and again renamed En_US to 2En_US
6. Then he restarted my computer. Then he ran InDesign. Apparently at that point it created fresh En_US files, and from there it worked!
Yup, that was the next thing on the list.