5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2016 10:50 PM by amanakiwi

How do I update my system software without losing my older Adobe applications?

Kath1119

Hi. I purchased and own InDesign CS5.5, Illustrator 10.0.3 & Photoshop CS6. I want to update my iMac system software which currently runs Mac OS X version 10.6.8. But if I do this, I think it will render my expensive software unuseable.

I cannot reach a real human from Adobe to inquire about my options in this matter. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you!

-Kathleen !

• 1. Re: How do I update my system software without losing my older Adobe applications?
          Joel Cherney Level 5

I cannot reach a real human from Adobe to inquire about my options in this matter. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Yes, lots

Your suspicion is correct. If you update your OS it is almost guaranteed to keep at least some of your old Adobe apps from functioning. This is especially true if you move to Yosemite. Telling us your target OS is important, because I think much (maybe all?) of your software would still work under Lion, although many people report issues when upgrading the OS while leaving Adobe apps installed.

In your shoes, what I'd do (and what I always recommend) is that you figure out some way to keep Snow Leopard going, to house your old Adobe apps. There are two common ways to do this:

1) Take a snapshot of your entire Snow Leopard install, back it up to external disk, format your drive, install Yosemite, then install VirtualBox or other virtualization host, and run your Snow Leopard snapshot there. The performance hit on running Snow Leopard as an app inside of Yosemite is not that bad, assuming you have enough RAM. "Enough" here is 16 gigs. It's probably doable at 8, but I can't say for certain.

2) Split your disk. You can take your current hard drive and split it in half, or some other fraction. Leave Snow Leopard as-is, then install Yosemite on the other half. You can hold down a key at bootup to choose which OS you want to run.

There are plenty of other options, but it's hard to guess what you need if we don't know what other apps you are running, the OS you want to upgrade to, why you're upgrading, and so on.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I update my system software without losing my older Adobe applications?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Joel's pretty much nailed this but let me put this to you in a nutshell.

In place operating system upgrades are a crapshoot and even a clean install cannot be done in a vacuum. If you want to run old software, then you need an old computer. This especially true for Mac where backward compatibility is not Apple's list of importance.

• 3. Re: How do I update my system software without losing my older Adobe applications?
              amanakiwi

HI Joel,

I am having to consider same issue as question above.

I run Adobe CS 5.5 on a Macbook Pro 2010 model with OS X 10.6.8. I want to keep running this software (without moving to the Adobe  subscription model - as I don't use CS 5.5 enough to warrant the cost.)  And I wish to be running a more up to date OS X, so I can use newer features, and be able to backup/sync a newer iphone 5s or 6s. 

It's now Nov 2016, Do you have anything to add to your 2 answers given above (either using a virtualization host, or splitting the disk) , considering my needs? Much appreciate your advice

• 4. Re: How do I update my system software without losing my older Adobe applications?
                Joel Cherney Level 5

Not really, no. I don't think your hardware has the oomph necessary to be a good VM host, not even with maxed-out RAM. If you use CS5.5 infrequently, you can do what I do on my late-2011 MBP when I need to work in a Creative Suite app: I reboot into Lion.

I see reports that some people manage to continue using CS5.5 apps on Yosemite. The secret there seems to be installing Java SE 6. Also, even with legacy Java installed, Illustrator is pretty much unusable. But reports are that InDesign works okay. Also: it seems that El Cap and Sierra are a no-go zone, and I see absolutely zero reports that pre-CC versions of ID work on those operating systems. I don't know if Yosemite is new enough to support your iDevice, but if it is, you might consider soldiering off into unsupported territory.