5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 7:45 AM by ChellsF

Which Codec for LEDs

ChellsF

I've run into a problem exporting some LED files. I have already exported a series for files ranging from 4160x64 to 1222x64 using the photo JPEG codec but my remaining files 17856x96 and 16480x96 won't render. All I get is a black screen. Which codec would need to use for these sizes, I have tried 12+ different codecs. My client is based in Australia and they are to be used at the MCG ground. I'm using AE CC 2014 on OS X 10.9.5. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Which Codec for LEDs
          bogiesan Level 4

More knowledgable AE guys will be along shortly.

You may need to contact the technical wonk at the venue to find out what codecs their system prefers. And then ask if there is someone who can handle the conversion or even the rendering for you if you send them the AE project and associated media. Also consider researching production methods for sport venue signage; it's a big industry with lots of suppliers and producers doing specialized work for those display systems.

There may be an upper limit to how wide you can truly go in AE, I do not know. 17+ thousand pixels is a bit much.

• 2. Re: Which Codec for LEDs
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You must get the specifications from the manufacture of the display. If all else fails I render an image sequence then convert that to the proper format with a third-party encoder.

• 3. Re: Which Codec for LEDs
              ChellsF Level 1

Thanks Rick for your advice on this. Can I ask which third party encoder would work best on OS X.

• 4. Re: Which Codec for LEDs
                bogiesan Level 4

>> You may need to contact the technical wonk at the venue to find out what codecs their system prefers. <<

Yeah, well.

You will first contact the people running the system or the people who made the system. You will ask them what codec they require. Then you will either ask them or ask us how to achieve that output.

But let's go back to this 17k-wide comp. You REALLY need a comp that size. Really? It's not just duplicated edge-to-edge? I've never heard of a sign system using that much space. They're always chunked out.

• 5. Re: Which Codec for LEDs
                  ChellsF Level 1

Thanks yes I'm trying to get in contact with my client but they are on the other side of the world. I've produced LEDs for all the UK football stadiums and as you say they normally duplicated but without having a direct contact I can only go off their specification. Cheers