3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 3:47 PM by Ned Murphy

Adobe CS4 donation licensing question for non-profit

katherinec26229389

I work for a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and someone donated a copy of CS4 to us. The issue is that it is a student copy.  It is unopened, never used.  We would like to be able to use this software but don't want to run into legal trouble. Is it possible for us to use it? Can we obtain a non-profit license for it if a non-profit license is different from an educator's license? What are our options?

Ways we would like to use the software: to create graphics for newsletters and social media with photoshop.  We'd like to use indesign to layout our newsletter.

Adobe creative suite has been on our wishlist for YEARS.  Because it is so expensive, no one has ever given it to us.  We finally have this copy donated, but it is a student copy. We'd really like to be able to use it, since under no circumstances is purchasing creative suite in our budget.  This is an old version of CS, but would be suitable for our purposes.

Hoping that we can get an answer and/or work with Adobe to figure out a way for us to use this software (have 501(c)(3) documentation and tax id that can be provided to prove our status).

Thank you for any help (tried the chat and was referred here).

• 1. Re: Adobe CS4 donation licensing question for non-profit
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe does not sell licenses for older versions of their software so getting a license thru them is not likely to happen.  There is actually no such thing as a student version of Adobe software.  The student status is defined by the license/serial number that is designated for the purchaser.  A student license is granted after someone demonstrates they qualify as a student/teacher.  You would have to pursue Adobe for that same status but I don't think a non-profit qualifies.  Students/teachers cannot pass/sell their license along because they have no right to approve anyone as qualifying as a student/teacher.

• 2. Re: Adobe CS4 donation licensing question for non-profit
            katherinec26229389 Level 1

Thanks, Ned!

The CS4 box that we have has "student edition" printed on it - does that matter? I know that there are licenses for non-profits, was just hoping they were similar to student/educator licenses.

What do you think is the best course of action regarding the software? We don't want to use it and get in trouble, on the other hand this is something we've needed for a long time.

I was reading in another forum where people suggested just loading the software onto a personal computer and "freelancing" work for the organization (per the student agreement, I read that student licenses can be used to make ("freelance") commercial items in North America, but not elsewhere in the world).

If I am a student and have a .edu email account (I do) would I be able to load the software on my personal PC and do freelance work for my organization?  That is, would this method prevent any violation of Adobe's rules?

Thanks so much for your help - really appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Adobe CS4 donation licensing question for non-profit
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe decides who qualifies as a student - people do not get to do that themselves.  If you truly want to be on the up and up with this, then sign up to get an account and see what you qualify for - contact Adobe directly and see what arrangements they have available for you.  These are user to user forums so no one here is going to be able to grant you anything in the way of permission to use a license you do not own.  Since CS4 is no longer being sold I am next to positive you will not qualify for getting a license for that.

Phone support | Orders, returns exchanges

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/phone-support-orders.html

For the link below click the Still Need Help? option in the blue area at the bottom and choose the chat option...

Get chat help with orders, refunds, and exchanges (non-CC)
              http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-b.html ( http://adobe.ly/1d3k3a5 )